How Not to Buy a MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pdpfilms, Dec 4, 2006.

1. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    So my buddy ordered a MacBook Pro through our school's Apple store. School store tells him it will ship in no more than 10 days, despite the online store saying 1-3. Well after three weeks, he recieves it, apparently because the store decided to play tiddlywinks for two weeks instead of ordering it. He brings it home and opens it up, to find a dead video card. He calls apple, where a CSR tells him that there's nothing they can do, and he should bring it back to the store. He walks to the store, after which they tell him they're actually not a store and aren't authorized to give out case numbers, and he'd have to call Apple. So he calls Apple again, gets a case number, and starts talking to the store manager, who's trying to convince him to return it through the 'store'.

Of course he's wary of the proposition, and doesn't want to wait another three weeks. He calls up Apple again to get specifics about their return policy, and they tell him the following:

"You have to send it to us, then we look at it, decide if it needs repair or replacement, and then we'll either repair it or dispatch a new one."

He tells them that's not acceptable, as he's already waited 3 weeks for a machine that was broken from the start. He tells them he needs a working machine by the end of the week, and that the above policy was not going to work.

"OK, let me get a manager on the line."

He talks to the manager, who tells him he'll ship out an equivalent model using next day FedEx, and after receipt he needs to send the broken one back. Awesome.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Don't buy through an Apple reseller.

If my buddy had ordered the MBP through the online store, he'd have received it two weeks ago, and likely in working order. Also, according to Apple, by purchasing through the school store, my friend was not allowed to deal with the problem himself. It was only after serious resistance and good talking that he was able to get on the phone himself and lay things straight. Otherwise, he would have had to wait until the school store decided to get they're act together to ship the computer back to apple. Lamesauce.
  2. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2003
    Detroit, Michigan
    That sucks! We don't handle business like that at my campus store. We take care of our Mac folks...
  3. skye12 macrumors 65816

Nov 11, 2006
    Austin, Tx
  4. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    i get all my Apple products from or a brick-and-mortar Apple store. aside from the peace of mind of having purchased it by Apple itself, i like visiting the stores.
  5. raptor96 macrumors regular

Nov 5, 2006
    Our school has a pretty decent Apple store and they're an authorized repair center. The tech is also really nice so I got a HD replacement with same day turnaround.
  6. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2006
    I bought through a reseller and it took nearly a month and a half to get my computer- the second two weeks were because the store had recieved it and had it in the back but somebody had knocked off the sticker telling them to call me, and they never wondered what a CTO MBP was doing sitting in their storage room...

Anyway, I don't think the dead video card was the re-seller's fault, but re-sellers are (often) b*tches. Stay away.
  7. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

Sep 11, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I agree. That IS lamesauce...with a hint of weaksauce.