How often do refurbs change?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vtprinz, Dec 26, 2006.

1. vtprinz macrumors 6502

I'm debating on getting the 30GB ipod on the refurb apple page, but noticed that it's the original 5th gen and not the 5.5 revision with the extended battery life. I was wondering if it's worth the wait to see if any other models show up, or if the differences between 5 and 5.5 are really small. All I know of is the battery life and brighter screen (not sure how much difference the screen is though)

Any thoughts?

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

The sound quality on the 5 is much better according to the wizards at Hydrogenaudio, so it is not like the improved battery life and torch mode LCD backlighting comes with no cost.

3. vtprinz thread starter macrumors 6502

So in terms of audio quality I'd be better off with the refurbished 5th gen rather than holding off for the 5.5gen?

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

As crazy as it sounds yes. But those people at hydrogen audio are "audiophiles", if you are a normal consumer using Apple's standard earbuds you probably won't hear the difference.

5. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

From what I've heard, the real "upgrade" to the 5.5G's battery life was only in software...the same software that's available to 5G owners. The brighter screen is not worth the extra money; just go for the refurb 5G.