How often do you back up?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Caitlyn, May 29, 2006.

1. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

How often do you guys back up your hard drives? Meaning your photos, music, documents, etc. After my hard drive crash, I've decided to get serious about doing regular back ups. But do you think once a month is safe enough?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I back up as I get new stuff.

Just kind of keep a big book of DVD's all with data burned on em, like iTunes music and whatever else.

I don't have a regular back up time, but I keep track of new stuff with smart folders, and smart playlists, and back up as needed.

4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I make a complete bootable clone once a week. I make DVD/CD backups of important stuff whenever I get it.

5. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I have a lot of partial backups (everyday for somethings, once a week for others) but for a whole system backup, usually only once every 4 to 6 months. I work off of approximately 5 computers plus my iPod, so I have files all over the place, plus all the minor backups, if I lose one computer, no biggie.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Weekly. I have a FW HDD that only gets used to clone my system drive. It's kept unplugged and discounted the rest of the time.

Lethal

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You should ask yourself this:

If the answer is yes, then a month is safe enough.
    If the answer is no, adjust accordingly. :)

8. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Music: Once I have 700 MB worth of new music (therefore a CD)

Photos: Once a week

My uni work: everyday to iDisk, once a week to harddrive, end of semester to disc.

9. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, my main concern here is pictures. I lost over 800 pictures the other day after my hard drive crash that I can never retrieve again. Some where very important to me. So, pictures are VERY important to me. That is why my question was if a month was good enough. I'd say I add about 200 pictures to my library a month give or take a few.

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

yellow pretty much sums up the rule for backups. How much can you afford to loose?

Right now, I make sure to have everything really important on my boot partition, and keep less frequently changed or vital files (for example, old video projects or scratch-disk-stuff when I'm doing video or audio work) on another partition or drive. This less vital stuff gets backed up to a firewire drive or DVD-R whenever I do something significant--finish a project, or do enough work on one that I wouldn't want to lose it.

As for the important stuff on the boot partition (mostly writing): It gets cloned to a partition of a second internal drive at 11am every day, so I have a bootable backup with no more than 24 hours data loss in the event of a catastrophic failue. I additionally back it up to a firewire drive every month or two (or more frequently,depending on what I'm doing), which lives in a watertight bag in my firesafe in case my house burns down.

Further, the REALLY important, irreplaceable text files (writing for my website, and time-consuming creative writing) are cloned to my webhost hundreds of miles away, which also has its own versioned backup system, so even in the event my house were obliterated or everything got stolen, I'd still have the most time-consuming and irreplaceable work backed up. Thanks to Archive.org, there's even an offsite backup of the public stuff there.

Yes, I'm pretty careful. I figure if I've put literally hundreds of hours into writing the stuff, I'd better make sure it doesn't go poof.

11. iGary Guest

iGary

Ditto, but at 11.

12. riciad macrumors 6502

Daily bootable back up to dedicated firewire drive and always immediately before applying an OS update.

Not that I've ever had a problem with any update, but it makes me feel safer.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Now that we've established how often we back up, can I ask the people who do it regularly whether it's an automated process or whether it's done manually. I'm just wondering because when it comes to backups I trust myself more than an app in most circumstances.

14. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Every Friday at 7:00 AM sharp it clones my home folder and a few larger programs onto my external FW HDD.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I've set SuperDuper to do a Smart Update of a bootable clone onto my external FW drive, onto a dedicated partition the same size as my HD, every night at 9.30. I should probably reduce the scope, but what the heck.

16. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I do it automatically using Apple's own Backup software. It has earned my trust and it gives me peace of mind because I know I will not remember to back up every week.

EDIT: I think that after reading this thread, I am just going to have it do a full bootable clone of my hard drive. It will really save a lot of setup time if my hard drive fails or if I decide to upgrade my internal hard disk.

17. Caitlyn thread starter macrumors 6502a

What conditions do you guys have that make it neccessary to back up every day? Just out of curiousity, not being sarcastic.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I used to use Backup, but I find SD more confidence-inspiring, especially for restoring. I like the idea of having a complete, bootable clone.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I have a lot of design work (houses and furniture), specifications, invoices, estimates, contracts, essays, music and photos, which are added to daily. I've already managed to trash my Home folder once, and I'm not about to lose my work again.
    Why wouldn't you back up daily?:confused:

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Work... design work.

21. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Can Backup do a complete bootable clone? If not, is SD free? :D

22. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I'm with mj on this one. I use SuperDuper's smart backup about once a week, but I do it manually when I think about it. Sometimes its more or less than a week, but thats about average.

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I back up dynamically and manually. As new files are created, I upload them to my other two machines and, depending on what they are and whether they'll fit, my iDisk. Most of the files that need backing up for me are uni assignments and therefore they're relatively small Word files. They're easily managed. :cool:

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

As far as I'm aware, no. SD can be used on a Demo basis. I've had a paid copy for years.

25. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

SuperDuper will make a complete clone for free, but you have to pay if you want smart backups, which only takes about 5% of the time a full clone takes for the same result.