Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How often do you buy a new mac?

• Every 4 years or more

Votes: 29 21.6%
  • Every 2-4 years

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • Every 1-2 years

Votes: 29 21.6%
  • Less than every 12 months

Votes: 23 17.2%

• Total voters

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
pianodude123 said:
Holy crap dude!!!!

What was wrong with the Dual 2.5 that you had to update to a dual 2.7??? It is like the same exact speed! Why do you need a 15 and 17inch MBP?

Actually, Im not really nagging, just surprised and reallly want to understand your thought process/bank account balance

Josias said:
So you've had had 8 PB/MBP's, 6 PM/MP's and an iMac, plus the Apple IIe and the Performa. How can you afford that?

Sell and upgrade. I've been lucky in that I have very rarely ever had to pay for an upgrade out of pocket. Usually, I'll sell before a new revision comes out, then take that money and upgrade to the new one. Due to some special discounts related to certain employment, I've been lucky enough to upgrade without any expense. As for the Dual 2.5->2.7, I sold the 2.5 right before the Quads came out, not anticipating the shipping delay of 1-2 months. I needed a production machine, so I picked up a Dual 2.7 on the VERY cheap to hold me over until my Quad arrived. And I only ever have 1 laptop, and 1 desktop...except this one time...
DSC_0009-1.jpg

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
MovieCutter said:
Sell and upgrade. I've been lucky in that I have very rarely ever had to pay for an upgrade out of pocket. Usually, I'll sell before a new revision comes out, then take that money and upgrade to the new one. Due to some special discounts related to certain employment, I've been lucky enough to upgrade without any expense. As for the Dual 2.5->2.7, I sold the 2.5 right before the Quads came out, not anticipating the shipping delay of 1-2 months. I needed a production machine, so I picked up a Dual 2.7 on the VERY cheap to hold me over until my Quad arrived. And I only ever have 1 laptop, and 1 desktop...except this one time...
DSC_0009-1.jpg

wow :eek:

how many external hard drives do you have? and how do you keep up with them?

hadleydb

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Henderson, NV
MovieCutter said:
DSC_0009-1.jpg

Wow! Nice setup! *Drools* :eek:

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
I usually upgrade every 18 months or so. That way, there's a new OS to go with new hardware and the 18 month gap is significant enough to get a decent bump in performance whilst getting a decent price back for my old machine.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
Bought my eMac in December 2004. Sold it in January 2006 to buy an older Power Mac G4 Dual 867. The eMac actually ended up feeling faster overall. Sold the Power Mac and for some reason, I bought a Dell. This was in April. 4 months later, I came back to the Mac and bought my new Mac mini Core Duo. I am so glad I did!

Macs are addictive.

In that same time period, I had various Mac laptops:

-333MHz PowerBook G3 Lombard
-366MHz iBook G3 Clamshell
-667MHz PowerBook G4 Titanium

I plan on keeping the Mac mini for at least a year. It's great! :cool:

overheated

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2004
2 years ago i bought my first mac - powerbook 17" 1.5 ghz. i waited a bit hearing that the intel switch was on the way and when it came i went crazy. in feb 06 i bought a 20" imac, in june 06 i bought the 17" macbook pro, and yesterday i took delivery of my mac pro. somewhere in there before 06 i bought 2 23" alluminum cinema displays and one 20" alluminum. needless to say "I HAVE SWITCHED". out of all the things that made me switch the one that i did not count on but will never allow me to go back to the dark side is - i can hear again in my office. : )

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I've posted my Mac buying frequency before, but for the poll I'll answer again: I buy a new Mac every third year. :)

1994: Performa 630
1997: Power Mac 7500
2000: PowerBook G3 (Pismo)
2003: iBook G4
2006: MacBook 2.0
2009: ?

;)

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
MovieCutter, I've seen that picture on Flickr from other people just saving it because that looks so rediculously amazing. I always wondered who the lucky person was and now my search is over.

I on the other hand have seemed to upgrade every year, but I have excuses:D :

2004-Needed a PC for college so I bought a media center PC. Worked well but I needed a laptop to be around campus........
2005-I started reading into the mac platform and I liked it. Summer of 2005 I buy a 12 inch 1.33 Ghz powerbook G4 off a macrumors member. I loved the computer like no other and said I would never lose it.
2006-enter intel switch. My powerbook screen starts to feel too small, I want to do a bit more encoding, and I want to run a few windows programs that I missed. I do the unthinkable and sell the powerbook (which I thought would last me till 09)

Now I'm waiting for a tibook I bought off ebay for $250 to come in to last me till merom is in a new macbook. I plan to keep this computer for at least 3 years. Will it happen? Stay tuned to macrumors to find out!

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
12" PowerBook August 2004
20" iMac G5 May 2005
12" iBook August 2005

No intention of getting a new Mac anytime soon, unless there's a way to get my iMac to break under warranty and gimme an Intel iMac. :p

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
ricgnzlzcr said:
Now I'm waiting for a tibook I bought off ebay for $250 to come in to last me till merom is in a new macbook. I plan to keep this computer for at least 3 years. Will it happen? Stay tuned to macrumors to find out!

That is an amazing deal you got for tibook. Was it a full auction, or were you in the right place at the right time with a buy-it-now option?

ajl

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2006
Calgary
Well seeing my first Mac is sceduled to arrive Monday, the ratio is once every 20 years :p
Im hopeing that the ratio will go up to one every 2-4 years :D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Although I'd love to buy a new Mac every year (if not more frequently!) the practical side always gets the best of me, coupled with the fact that Macs have such great longevity! It's honestly hard to justify buying a new Mac all the the when the one you bought years ago is still running the latest OS and software just fine. ;)

I was seriously thinking of buying a new Mac in 2007, after Leopard is released, but now that my wife will be buying a MacBook soon, I may hold off for another year or two afterwards before upgrading my 1.25 GHz G4 iMac. After all, I haven't had one problem with it and honestly have no reason to upgrade it as of yet. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.