How often do you charge your cell?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mkrishnan, Apr 18, 2006.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How often do you charge your cell phone? Do you do essentially deep discharge cycles (close to all the way empty and then all the way back up again) or do you charge it daily?

My Nokia 3650, when new, three years ago, needed to be charged roughly every third day, even with minimal use. Now it needs to be charged every second day, which, I guess, is pretty good after three years of being on all the time. My new RAZR isn't three days old yet :eek: but judging from battery performance in the first day, it'll also need to be charged on the third day.

So does anyone get the 8 days or 10 days of standby time that the manufacturers always seem to claim? This is my fourth cell phone and I've yet to experience anything like this. The four phones were a Qualcomm, a Samsung, a Nokia, and now a RAZR V3 (*loves magenta*).

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

It's best to keep your Li-Ion batteries topped up rather than running them flat all the time, where possible. That said, you still got pretty respectable life out of your Nokia.

I charge my Sony Ericsson W900i and Vertu Ascent about every other day, but they'd easily last twice that. I run them down on the odd occaision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li-ion

3. iGary Guest

iGary

I can probably get a week out of my Treo if I am not talking much on it.

4. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It *would* be you. :mad: It's my turn to be angry and bitter now!!!!

True, true, I actually am pretty happy with how my Nokia is doing after three years. But I don't think I've ever seen any of my phones last more than three or four days, even if they see close to *zero* use. :( I know BT is part of the problem, but my first two phones didn't have it. Right now, I know the battery life gets hosed somewhat by the fact that in the hospital, it is constantly searching for service, due to the abysmal lack of coverage. But then that wasn't true in the past.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Heh, I have a Nokia 7210 that'll last two weeks if I don't use it, and that's pretty ancient now. The colour screens, BT as you mention, and vastly more complicated and power hungry OSs would seem to be the general cause - it's been a long time since I've had a mobile phone that has gone longer than 4 days on a single charge.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I have a horrible cell that's ridden w/ all sorts of issues. I MUST keep it charged because if I ever, ever, ever turn it off (or if the battery dies) then my phone does this weird thing where it scrolls through and beeps every alarm/event that I have ever entered in my phone. :rolleyes: Nothing can make it stop...

7. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*runs in and turns off devilot's cell and runs away giggling* :eek: ;) :D

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

depending on use I can get maybe 4 days if i don't talk alot or text msg...

9. musicalmcs8706 macrumors regular

I usually go about 2 or 3 days, but it totally depends on how much I've used it and where I've used it as I live out in the country, so sometimes I get the "joy" of analog network.

10. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The thing is... the RAZR, which has all of these things, has a rated standby time of 12 days. C|Net even claims they get 10 days. But if you so much as open the phone twice, it seems like that 12 days becomes 4.... That would be like if you typed three sentences into your iBook and the battery life became 45 minutes. :(

11. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

My Razr V3c usually goes for about 3-4 days with minimal use, 2 days if I'm feeling like a chatterbox. The battery save option definitely works!

But, it doesn't really bother me right now as it only takes about an hour to fully charge.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

When i did have a phone i had to charge it every night....stayed on the phone...its apart of my job.

Bless

13. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

"Just you wait 'enry 'iggins, just you wait! You'll be sorry but by then you'll be too late!" :eek: ;)

15. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

I always run mine down completely before a recharge, and it's usually about once a week. This is a Nokia 3120.

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

If I had a cell phone I'd just dock it by my bed every night and top off the battery.

With luck, there will be cell service in my area by the end of the month, at which point I can finally justify buying a cell phone! :D

17. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

I charge my samsung SCH A670 about every 2 days. Its the opposite of a gasoline tank on a car. It looses the first 2 bars quickly, then takes a good day and a half to loose the last one. Its annoying, I'm going to a slvr later this summer I believe

18. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

I probs charge about... once every 5 days? My cell phone is just this cheap little Nokia... and I don't talk much on it. At most an hour or 2 a day. Generally... 0-15min.

19. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Every 2 or 3 months. I let it get halfway down then charge it up.

20. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I end up letting it die a lot. :eek:

I play tetris on it constantly, because I don't have classes anymore (the last 37 calendar days until graduation and I'm a senior who has already taken everything and more than she needs to graduate)

Even though it's also turned off most of the day, those few hours of tetris really kill the battery. Stupid bright screen. :mad:

but it does a respectable job.. 4, 5 days.

21. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

too often. i have a love hate relationship with my cell phone, as i have had with all cell phones. my current phone is not very efficient though. i say i have to charge it about every 2-3 days. about 4-5 if i dont use it.

22. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

RAZR V3 = 3 days at light/moderate usage.

23. HckySo macrumors 6502

HckySo

I've had two Virgin Mobile cameras this year (a co-worker gave me the upgraded version of my old phone) and the batteries last about 4 days. And if I go on trips I have a back up battery from my old cell phone because their the same modile type.

24. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I charge my phone when i go to sleep. I have a charger on my nightstand and when i am asleep its charging.

25. Eldentistfuturo macrumors regular

Vertu Ascent,, are you kidding? Starting price of 5,500, for a phone?