How often do you do a clean install of OS X?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CubaTBird, Jul 12, 2004.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
  2. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2003
    A Higher Level
    what's so special about 10.3.5. I haven't done a clean install since updating from Jag. to Panther.
  3. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003
    every time my PC crashes and i reinstall windows, just so my Mac doesn't get uppity.
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    maybe twice a year or so, thinking about doing one again soon just to get rid of a lot of stuff that i really dont need
  5. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I'm going to do one by weeks end.

Other than that, I only do a clean install when a new OS comes out or I have to fix a major problem.
  6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I never have and have never found a reason to necessitate it.
  7. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    if you manage your system properly and do proper maintenance the only time you would ever need a clean install is for a new os. you should never do a clean install for an current os update.. thats just insane and totally unnecessary. I have ran os installs for years without a reinstall.
  8. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I don't do clean installs. I do erase and installs.

...about every 6 months.
  9. frenetic macrumors regular

Feb 11, 2004
    Yep, I agree, only when there's a new os like Tiger I will do a clean install, just to get rid of old preference files and stuff. It really is a wrong idea that you would need to reinstall your os after 6 months. To the contrary, I've noticed that if you regularly do maintenance task (macaroni is a splendid set and forget app) OS X gets more stable with time. The only kernel crashes I've had have always been in the first month of use of a clean install, after that, never... Now I come to think of it, the last application crash I was aware of is even a month ago... It's simply amazing, isn't it?
  10. bryanc macrumors 6502

Feb 12, 2003
    Fredericton, NB Canada
    Haven't done one yet

My TiBook came with 10.1, and I've upgraded through every version since. I've never done a clean install.

I suggest you just backup your home directory as usual, do the upgrade, and if there is any problem, then do a clean install and restore your home directory. That way, if everything works like it's supposed to, you will have saved yourself some work.

Remember, OS X isn't dosen't have a registry to get completely screwed up by normal use.

11. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2003
    In Panther if you're the only user and things are getting clogged up in your library, save any preferences that you really want and know you'll need, like serial numbers that might be hard to track down again etc. Then set up a new admin user, delete yourself, switch to the new admin user and you're back in business with a clean library.

12. raynegus macrumors regular

Jul 5, 2003
    I usually do a fresh install when I back up my entire home folder, which is every 6 months (Jan/July).

It's a great way to clean up all the crap I tend to download. I like to try lots of stuff on VersionTracker, etc.

I erase my entire hard drive, then reinstall off the installation DVDs only what need (I leave certain drivers off, all languages except English, etc.). Then I open up my home folder (which is now on a Lacie drive), and copy things I need back over (preferences, etc.). It takes me about 2 hours to put eveything back the way it was. It's a fun 2 hours though.

I like doing it this way because then I know everything on my computer I intentionally put there. I also don't have to mess with SpringCleaning or other crappy software like that.

I cycle several Lacie drives, by the way. So at any one time I have several backups of my home folder.
  13. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2003
    London, Ontario
    Get ONYX! Its made my iBook run so much smoother!

Ive only done two reformats since ive owned my Mac though.. so about a year and a half for two formats.. One of those was when i switched to Panther from Jaguar.
  14. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    i have has my pb about 10 months and i havent and dont feel the need to. its running like a dream.
  15. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    every time I sell a computer I do a clean install for the buyer. other than that, I'd probably only do a clean install on a machine I plan to keep using if I did what raynegus does by experimenting with versiontracker stuff.
  16. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
  17. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i never needed to, but i think i will when my sister brings her ibook in in sept. i just clean out pref files of programs i dont use anymore after i delete them
  18. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    Only when I upgrade 10.1 > 10.2 > 10.3 etc. or when I have a catastrophic problem (only a couple of times in 4 yrs). Other than that, I just repair permissions once in a while and stay current on the updates.
  19. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Did my old iMac G3 twice about 4 years ago. Once because I wanted to partition my disk, and the second time because I was a muppet and thought I needed to.:(

Since then, I never have am never likely too.
  20. etoiles macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2002
    Where the air is crisp
    never on my 12"PB... but I had to re-install Windows on my PC the other day :p
  21. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2003
    i did once but that was only to fix the factory install that was messed up when i first got it
  22. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    never found necessity to go through the trouble.

23. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    That's actually a really good idea... There's not much of an excuse for having an untidy hard drive other than laziness. I've eaten much of my pb's 60gig with duplicates of files, folders, and just unnecessary clutter - your reasoning appeals greatly to me. I'm going to start tonight. :)
  24. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    i've done it twice, and i think it was between major OS upgrades... i don't think i would have wanted or needed to otherwise