how often do you, fellow MR political forum user, visit church ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by takao, Nov 12, 2004.

1. takao macrumors 68040

takao

my curiosity has been woken up by some recent threads and some polls a few weeks ago..
    do you regulary go there (like once a week) or at least once a month ? or even,god forbid,not at all ;)
    additional questions:
    do you own a (personal) bible ? (this question is especially targeted at the younger ones in here)
    do you have read it ?
    do you have any crosses around your house ?

i'm very interested in answers because personally i'm not really involved at all in my church, i visit church perhaps once a year on special occasions or perhaps eastern ,sure we have a lot of bibles around our house (some relatives thought that every from us kids needed a seperate 'children bible' and an additional one without pictures later) and a few smaller crosses (i think 1 in our kitchen and us kids had one above our 3 beds )
    but did i read the bible once on my own ? not one sentence..i looked through the pictures of the children bible when i was a kid...(as a kid i had to visit the church every sunday)
    and now as a student it looks worse: books about math, a darth vader poster over my bed and sleeping sunday morning (with 5 churches,2 small cathedrals and one monastry in 5 minutes walking range..perhaps even more) ;)

(members of non-christian religions are invited to this thread too..just exchange cross/bible etc. with your things)

2. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Never, I'm not religious, but I don't care if people do or not. It's just not me.

3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I never go to church. I am an atheist.

I was Baptized, I do own a Bible, but I do not read it. No, there aren't any crosses around my house.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

5. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Never.

I decided a long while ago that either god was a hypocrite or christians were. Either way, I wanted nothing to with either.

6. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I try to go weekly. I enjoy it, and have met some wonderful people there.

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

I go to church primarily on Easter and Christmas, but even that is more because of my wife than me. I would like to give my children the opportunity to explore religion on their own and make their own decision once they are older, but for now, we don't go regularly.

I have no issue with people who do go regularly, as long as they don't try to "convert" me.

We have a bible somewhere, but I couldn't tell you where.

We have no crosses in our house, unless you count a charm that my daughter got as a baby.

I'm not sure that I would call myself an atheist, as I believe in some higher power - whether it be "nature" or "the force" or whatever - but I don't think there is one God looking over us.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

then you're not an atheist

9. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

every sunday, sometimes I teach sunday school. My wife was a methodist music major, sings in the choir. We usually go on Wed as well, choir practice for the kinds and cafateria style dinner and fellowship. We have wonderful friends and the kids all get along and do some sleepovers.

My wife and I have 2 different bibles, mine is more a study bible with loads of cross references, and my wife's is similar with a daily devotional emphasis. I don't know it as well as i should or want to, but continue to learn. In the Islamic world it is revered to memorize the entire Koran.

Our 8yr old daughter got her first one issued from the church this year, she loves to read it. I just checked on her, (had a babysitter, wife and I went out for the 14th anniversary) and she had fallen asleep with it on her bed.

I guess my profile is different froom most here, big surprise.

10. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

My grandparents were very religious (Protestant), and my parents were so-so about it, although they felt obligated to "raise me correctly", so I had tons of religious exposure as a child. I sang in the choir, etc. I went to a private school that had chapel every morning (mixed denominations) and a religion class once a week (the Bible). I consider myself to have a lot more formal religious training than most people I meet. I've read large parts of the Bible, but not cover to cover. However, I wouldn't step foot in a church to save my soul, unless, of course, it was to admire the incredible architecture in some of the old ones (can't feed the people, but we can build this monument to God with their blood and sweat). I have a Bible from my Grandfather (we were very close), but I never read it; I keep it more as a memory of him. Crosses, no way. Organized religion is the most twisted, corrupt, deceiving, misguided, dangerous, hypocritical nonsense I have ever encountered in the world. It's propaganda that targets people that don't want to think for themselves and, ultimately, can't deal with their own mortality. It exploits the weak and ignorant for the goal of controlling and manipulating them. We, as a species, will not take the next step in our evolutionary journey until we are strong enough to live our lives without the need for (organized) religion.

Some on this thread have seen a couple other posts from me lately on the "Evolution is a Fact" thread. Obviously, this crap gets me going. Sorry for the rant. Strong, independent minds will prevail.

11. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Wouldn't that be classified as agnostic?

12. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to add that I'm not an atheist. I don't see how a logical mind could reject the existence of a god, where god = something greater than ourselves. After all, we didn't make the world we came into, it was already here.

13. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I do not go to Church. I believe a church is where you make it; that Religion/Spirituality is a deeply personal matter.

That said, with six years of Catholic school under my belt, I am somewhat familiar with Church settings and occasionally attend Church as a favor to a friend who believes it to be important (for example, I attended my niece's baptism). I have to say that it makes me profoundly uncomfortable sitting in a Church, although I cannot put my finger on why. It has something to do with the seeming rote-learning and peer-pressure/judgement issues I have noticed.

I also have been to a few Eastern Orthodox Churches, and I find them quite beautiful and awe-inspiring, although again, I prefer to keep my spirituality a private matter.

I am kind of surprised about the amount of self-professed atheists on this forum. I personally am not an athiest, although I certainly do not believe in a white-bearded God in the sky. I am a deeply spiritual person and as such, I choose not to define a higher power, merely to acknowledge the likelihood of one.

The world and the Universe is too exquisite not to have an organizing principle behind it.

14. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Well put.

15. emw macrumors G4

emw

Probably, although my thought was that "agnostic" means that I am hedging my bet - I don't want to say I don't believe in god, so I just say I'm not sure. I don't believe in a god, so I guess I'm closer to atheistic. I do, however, think there is something beyond our mortal bodies.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

congratulations to you and your wife.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

for many years, i was a self-described agnostic. to me, it meant that i was open to the possibility of a higher power, but it neither affected my daily life nor was something i could ever hope to grok.

though i do believe in a higher organizing principle, these days i do not believe it is anything sentient. rather, it's something along the lines of physics. no god, ergo, i'm atheist.

as a side note, the closest thing i've had to a religious experience was just the week before, in japan. i wandered into the basement of a temple, where there was a monk chanting, a couple hundred statues of buddha w/ a scroll in front of each, very intense lighting and several women saying prayers, turning the scrolls, and making donations. unlike anything i've seen.

18. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I went to a wedding this last summer and I realized it was the first time I'd ever been to a church (service--I've been in plenty of empty ones a'touristin'). I'm 31.

I own a bible (and an English translation of the Koran for that matter). I was reading through Matthew a couple weeks ago, intending to make it through the N.T. I lost interest, but I do enjoy "Life of Brian" more now that I know what Jesus had against the birds.

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

No bible in the house. I was raised Lutheran so had one when I was younger.

I'm an atheist I 'spose :D I can't find any reason to believe in some vengeful guy in a white robe nor in the sacrifice of his son. I can understand why some people feel the need to believe in something and have no problem with those people whose religion is a personal thing, I detest those who feel a need to impose it on others.

I've spent my adult life on the west coast in the shadow of some of the largest trees in the world and surrounded by some incredible scenery. Whenever I feel the need to believe in something I head to the beach or the forest or the Arcata Plaza and sit and ponder the phenomenal complexity of the world we live in. Whether it's the fact that the ocean continues to roll in and roll out or the fact that trees the size of thirty story buildings don't fall down or the amount of piercings and tattoos that west coast travelers have!

The world that we live in is too amazing and wonderful for me to believe in the necessity of an afterlife.

20. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....(one of my rare ventures into the political forum!) absolutely never. I even went as far as to complain to the government when my local voting station was located in a church hall - I feel I should not have to subject myself to walkling through those doors in order to exercise my right to vote....oh yeah!

21. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I was last in church last Christmas. My wife dragged me in. I've got absolutely nothing against those who attend church, and I think it's a great place to collect your thoughts, but I just balk at being told what to believe. I went to church every week when I was younger, but that was mainly because my parents made me, and secondarily because there were a lot of hot girls there. Maybe the priority of those reasons needs to be reversed. Anyway, I rarely go anymore because I think that adults who believe in things simply because they're told to by others are sheep - especially wen it comes to matters of unprovable issues - and I prefer not to be a sheep. I'm atheistic in that I do not believe in an intelligent higher power (or powers).

I'm fairly spiritual - in a personal, "human spirit", nature, etc. sort of way - but not remotely religious.

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm pretty much on the same level as blackfox. If I happen to be visting home on Xmas or Easter I'll go w/my family. Or if there is a wedding, funeral, or religious event of a close friend/family member I'll go. But, as I mentioned in another thread, I am weary of organized religion. I have faith in God, not mankind. I do have own a Bible or two, but it's been a long time sense I've cracked one open. I do enjoy going to Cathedrals though to have a look around. There are many that are awe-inspiring in terms of beauty and engineering.

Lethal

23. brap macrumors 68000

I visit Church every time there's something worthwhile happening; visiting centres of Christianity bring out the worst in me.

Elections, and funerals. Weddings are dubious.

I'd probably be 'agnostic', because I believe even if there was a god (bona-fide and proven), it certainly wouldn't deserve any of my acknowledgement - let alone worship - from the state of things down here.
    Absolutely true; while the purpose and legitimacy I have problems with, there is no way to ignore the fact that these things are often incredible feats of engineering. Architectural history is my dissertation subject, I love it so; I just have to dislocate the emotional side of my brain to appreciate some of the wonderful architecture in my city.

24. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

A very personal matter

As others have said, it is what you believe in. Having been in and out of church for several years, its definitely what you put into. And then on top of that, believing it.

When they say leap of faith, they really mean it. When I was younger, I don't think I did it for the right reasons. Alot of friends from middle/high school went to church so it almost became an "in" thing to do in terms of the social circles/cliques we have here.

I dunno, I guess you can say that some churches are "corrupted". On the other hand, there are some extremely zealous groups and having been in those groups, its a bit unnerving the way they will try to "convert" you.

Especially college groups. If you aren't in college yet, then you won't know until you see it for yourself. Some groups are not as zealous, and I think i could tolerate that, but those that go overboard--and I have experienced those groups, I told them I had enough.

So to answer the question? Haven't been to church in several months.

25. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Is there any other kind of atheist? I didn't need to have anyone confirm that I am an Atheist, just like you didn't need anyone to confirm that you are religious. It doesn't mean that I am against you because I don't believe or that you are against me because you believe. It's just means that we have a difference in how we choose to live, imagine that. I hope you are rewarded by your faith, but it is not for me, and that is pretty much the end of the end of the story.