How often do you get a "WOW" from guests when they see your Mac?

Discussion in 'Community' started by King Cobra, Oct 10, 2002.

1. King Cobra macrumors 603

FYI: I put this in the Community Discussion because this is just a discussion on how impressed people are, probably PC users [​IMG]

When I brought my iBook to class in the beginning of September the newcomers to Pascack Hills were impressed that I had my own computer. Although one person hates Macs... :eek:

I used the handle on my iBook a few days ago effeciently and a few students were stunned.

Today and yesterday I showed a freshman and a sophmore a bunch of commercials/funny sh** I d:D, and they both laughed real hard.

I also showed my English teacher and a few students the Monkey Switch video. They thought it was funny. :p

2. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

all the time

when they see my 17in Apple LCD.. I get all kinds of wows!

Apple left a few demo iBooks at my work... people walk by and see me using them.. and they are wowed as well

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I always get "it's so thin!" whenever someone new sees my TiBook...he he he ;)

4. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

well all the drones at the law center have the "recomended" dell 14" latitude. Everyone, even the profs at the beginning of the year wowed my TiBook. course i dont blame them with those archaic Dells (pIII 1ghz, 128ram, dvd (no CDRW), and a little 16mb graphics cards). Though some of them were brave and got gateways (HAHAHAHA)... yeah

5. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Occasionally people use my home machine when they're over to check mail, or show me somthing.

The first thing they say is "how come you have three monitors but only one keyboard".

Then is that PC or Mac.

My response is all three monitors run off one computer.

Then I get "Why so many boxes".

I then show off the KVM and the two Macs and two PCs, all piped into the setup.

I've had 5 friends whose jaws have dropped to fast they offered to by the setup on the spot.

I still haven't gotten around to building/commisioning my dream desk with integrated hubs, cable management, etc.

6. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

i thought you sold that thing

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I havent gotten any of my friends to actually buy a mac yet, but none of them bash macs anymore :)

8. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

everytime my my friends see my computer its a wow, and family say wow, everyone who see's my imac says is that it, wow why is mine so big and bulky, even an electritian who came over said wow

So my iMac is to cool :D

9. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

stop bragging :p lol jk jk
    all i ever hear (but then again its a pc :p) is "can u install msn" lol

10. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

chicks dig the iBook of course. they are like "its so CUTE! you like macs?" im like "i do now. they just plain rock and they look good too." :)

the guys try to talk shizz but then they realize i'm doing things they wish they could...like steal internet from the university because they won't grant laptop access in education buildings. every once in a while I make a CS major drool when i drop into the terminal and start hacking away at my *nix stuff.

Its simply the better parts of the majority of computer worlds come together in a seamless environment.

11. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

All the freakin' time. In a sea of anonymous notebooks at a Starbucks, my TiBook stands out like a shining beacon. While the others are fiddling away trying to reboot their Dulls, I'm coding and compiling away on my TiBook without interruption.

Man, oh man, it's sweet to be a Mac owner. :D

12. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Always

I once took my cube to a client to do some work, I had to connect it to all thier Beige PC peripherals like monitor, keyboard, mouse etc...

I really stood out compared to thier equipment (especially it's size).

They were like "Mine looks like crap."

It was so funny to when they asked me if it starts windows when it starts up, I was like "You know Unix?," and they were like "Oh yea yea," I said ,"This is Unix!"

Not bad for a 3 year old computer...everyone thinks it must be brand new when they see it.

Since becoming a mac user, I think I became a little spoiled (or something) I am not so impressed with the designs (I want more!) as I was when I used only "beige comodity" hardware...

Anyway, as far as engineering, Mac is pretty much the best. With sony a distant, distant second...

13. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

All the bloody time... usually followed by something like "can you go on the internet and stuff with that"

14. vniow macrumors G4

Well I don't have a Mac, but people are shocked when I tell them that my PC doesn't crash.:p

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

ROFL! That's exactly the kinda crap questions my PC buds ask me all the time when I'm going on about how fantastic my Mac is. :D

16. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Would you happen to have a foto of your setup? sounds alright...

17. iGav macrumors G3

Don't get any comments anymore...... TiBooks are ubiquitous in London, I know alot of people with them, and you see them everywhere...... especially in new media, and even most of my clients have them now......

It was a different story when I first got it at the start of 01, before the shops had them in stock and before anybody had seen them in the flesh....... you could stop just about anybody going about their business if you were working on it in public......

Personally I really feel that the TiBook is in need of an aesthetic update..... the design is coming up to 2 years old, without any major design overhaul....... :eek: ;)

18. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well,
    The FlowerPower does get responses from People. Normally, man, that is not as bad as I thought it would be.

Now the Ti. People are amazed by the Ti. They actually don't know what to say about it, but they are overwhelmed by it.

19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

good memory ;)

I did sell it...my Rev. A 500...

thanks to B2TM I got a SWEET deal on a Rev. B 667 that I couldn't pass up...

sold the 500 for what I paid for the 667...more of an "upgrade" if anything...he he he :D ;)

20. job macrumors 68040

job

People are usually more impressed with the OS rather than the hardware in my case..

My gf liked the genie and dock magnification effects.. :p :D

21. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

yeah...eye candy is always great...but I want speed...he he...

anything that slows my machines down even a fraction...goes... ;)

22. job macrumors 68040

job

yeah, I only turned those on for the "wow" effect. :p

Once she was gone.. hehehe.. they were turned off. :D

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've found that the TiPB does a good job of getting wow's on a regular basis - still - which I find kind of amazing since they're not all the uncommon anymore.

My home setup still gets attention, but its starting to show its age. Hopefully next year I'll be getting that all redone and include a new computer and a couple of monitors.

D

24. hesdeadjim macrumors regular

WOW Factor

my new Ti is getting a bunch of wows, espically from people who use to balk at the fact i use macs. i brought it to class and it inspired the other 2 mac users to bring out their powerbooks in my bio-medical engineering class (we all have the same courses, so we see each other all the time). everyone was amazed that we could surf the internet by just opening up. One guy said he has had the wireless card for 3 months and still can't get it to work. i said my computer came with the airport fully installed and ready to go.

the usual response is that it is so thin. other ones are that the screen is so big, the computer is so sexy, and i want. the CS people I know love the OS, and impressed enough to consider getting it over their linux boxes.

i still get the responses like i bet you can't do office (i preceed to show them), internet (i show them and their are fully impressed), or file share with pcs (and with 10.2 they are even more impressed).

Well I'm dragging on.

25. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

I bought a new dual gig for my freshman year at college this year, and i got to set it up a day before my roomate moved in. when he came in carrying his oversized dell tower and 15 inch, bulky LCD, he was like, "wow, how much did that cost?!"
    If he only knew:(