How often do you have to repair your disk permissions?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacBandit, Jan 16, 2003.

1. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I find that I have to repair my disk permission at a minimum once every other week and sometimes even daily. Does anyone else have this problem?

The reason I know I have to repair them is either something isn't working like the printer or an application or my Kensington mouse fails to be recognized.

Does anyone know the cause of the corrupt disk permissions and is Apple going to fix the problem?

2. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

If you have to repair it so often and things work on and off... you sure its the permissions that are the problem?

3. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

They don't work on and off. They don't work and they don't work and they don't work and then I repair permissions and they work. I've done it a couple dozen times and I know it's permissions related for sure.

The most problems I have had have been caused by my Kensington mouse not being recognized. Up until I started using this mouse I could go a month or more without needing to repair permissions. Now that I have this mouse if it doesn't work I have to do it no question about it.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Ah, but some application that's run frequently or haxie could be modifying your permissions quite often, reverting them to the bad state. It should not happen as frequently as you describe, so something has to be causing it. I'd troubleshoot it until you can figure out what it is, then fix *that*. Perhaps the problems are with the Kensington drivers, have you tried contacting them to see if they know of a problem?

sorry to hear of your problems, that would be most annoying. i've had to repair permissions once, because i did something stupid in root without thinking about it. I've been using X solidly for many months now.

pnw

5. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

sounds like a problem i have.

how do you repair your permissions ?

-Doc

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Open up Disk Utility (in your utilities folder). Click on Repair. Select the volume (has to be your startup volume iirc) Click Repair Permissions.

7. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

8. dricci macrumors 6502a

I have to do it after installing something that modifes a lot of things, like a system update. On all the 10.2 machines I've ever used, the bootup process is just so damn slow until you run that, then it seems to "fix" itself... for a while.

APPLE FIX THIS! ;)