How often do you replace the blade on your shaving razor?

Discussion in 'Community' started by billyergs, Jul 28, 2005.

1. billyergs macrumors member

For all of you who use disposable razors or ones with disposable cartridges, how often do you replace? The razor companies recommend every two weeks but It seems possible to go longer.

Also, does anyone use the Gillete M3? It's the one that vibrates. I've noticed no difference in shaving with or w/o the vibrating on. Seems more like a gimmick.

2. mpw Guest

Maybe every six weeks or longer.

A whirling razor sharp blade to shave your face a gimmick, surely not!

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I just bought the M3, and when I use it the bathroom glows a bright green and illuminates my face so I can get the best possible shave. All the activity brings my wife running, and the resultant smooth shave can't keep her off of me.

not really

I think it's a pretty smooth shave. I like it. I bought a shower mirror and have begun shaving in the shower. The moisture helps the close shave a lot, too, I believe.

I change my blades every month or so. They're so expensive!

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

I change about every 8-10 shaves (so about every 3 weeks, since I don't like to shave every day). I use the M3 Power razor and love it - I shave in the shower and it's definitely smoother than the non-powered one I use when I travel. Perhaps I should just go buy another one...

5. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Every 3 months, but I have a partial beard, so I can get away with LAZY ass shaving habits.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I have very fast growing, very thick facial hair. 5 o'clock shadow? I shave at 7 am and have a 2 o'clock shadow. I shave every day (twice sometimes if I have an afternoon meeting). It sucks. To top it off, I have very sensitive skin and about once a week I break out in a rash after shaving. I tried about 5 different electric razors and every type of disposable razor I could find. I've tried many different shaving creams as well. On average, blades only lasted about 2-3 shaves and many times I didn't even get a smooth shave.

I finally settled on the mack 3. I was getting a very smooth shave and blades lasted 4-5 shaves. I moved to a Shick diamond cut blade razor. The shave wasn't as smooth, but blades lasted 9-10 shaves. I figured it was worth it.

I went to the store and saw the M3 Power. I figured I'd give it a shot. I must say it is wonderful. I get about 10 very smooth shaves out of it and haven't broken out in a rash (I've been using a couple of months now). Is it the vibration? I have no idea. Maybe they use a better quality blade? Maybe it's the shape? Maybe it's something else? I really don't know. I must say though, for the time being I won't use any other razor. That doesn't mean I won't try a new razor when one comes out, but for now I'm happy.

7. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I had to shave all three days, but now it's increased to every two days already. This and the fact that I have quite soft hair are the reasons, why I only need to change blades every two months or so. Though I have to admit that I can really feel a difference when I put in a new one. Perhaps I'm just too lazy or cheap...

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I leave it longer than the razor companies want :D

Seriously they say every 2 weeks, I find every 3-4 is OK (shaving most days).

9. billyergs thread starter macrumors member

Has anyone tried the shaving gel by a company named "King of All Shaves?"
    It has no foamy lather like other creams and gels, so it goes on completely clear.

The results are a super close shave and you can actual see where you have missed while shaving.

10. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I personally don't see the huge opposition to facial hair, I mean it doesn't make you dirty or evil to have a beard :rolleyes: Just keep it trimmed neatly and it can actually look good (Steve Wozniak anyone?).

The only reason I shave is because my private school requires their students to have a clean-shaven face (minus eyebrows of course :p). After I'm out of school I'm just gonna let it grow.

I just use the cheapo throw-away bic razors - cost is not a problem with them, and I've always been able to get a decent shave with them so they're alright for me. I haven't tried any power razors.

EDIT: Forgot to answer the main question: I grab a new razor every few shaves (10 or so, sometimes more).

11. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

12. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

I start a new one every one to two months. But, it takes me 48 hours to get a 5 o'clock shadow so I don't exactly have to shave all that often. :) Even at age 43 (today).

13. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I use disposables [read: throw-aways] Cheaper, better shave IMSO.
    X

14. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

I use the Mach 3 Turbo to shave (once per week mostly, I don't have a job at the moment and I only see my fiance on the weekends, so no incentive to shave more often) and find myself switching blades every 4-6 weeks. I figure spending the $10 or whatever it is for a 4-pack of blades every 4 months isn't too bad. :) I tried the Mach 3 when it came out and used that, then quickly moved to the softer gel padding of the Turbo...I haven't found a need to try the M3, but maybe I'll do that one of these weeks :D

15. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

oh, i thought that was a question to the ladies....

16. Frisco macrumors 68020

I used to use a Mach 3, but the blades were just too damn expensive, so now I use very cheap disposables. The blades don't last very long and get clogged easily, but they do a nice job, much to my surprise.

17. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It depends how often I shave – I've been a little lazy lately and have gone a bit stubbly (hey, my girlfriend likes it so what can I do? :D) but I'd say I switch after about 10-12 shaves or so.

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I like a little bit of stubble-- not the stereotypical Asian, 3-hairs-on-the-chin stubble, but good ol' like, well, ok maybe I'll find a picture to post here... but yes, some stubble can be EXTREMELY EXTREMELY sexy. *drool*

Oh yes, I use the venus thingie... change the blade maybe every 3 weeks, more like 2 in the summer time. :D

Hate short skirts... love long ones. Get the coolness (temperature-wise) minus the hassle of shaving more. :cool:

19. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Switched to an electric Braun shaver in Feb '04, and have replaced the blades once. One of those self-cleaning jobs. works okay, but I knida miss my regular razor.

Shaving every other day ('cause I hate to shave), blades usually lasted 2-3 weeks. Except when I was also shaving my head. Then they only lasted a week.

20. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I use a Mach 3 with the Turbo blades. I replace the blades when the moisture strip starts looking cracked and cruddy, which is about half a dozen or so shaves. I could probably use the blades longer since I don't have thick hair, but I like to have the blades as fresh as possible.

21. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

mach 3 turbo, perhaps once a month,i could go longer but i get a rash

22. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Wow

I can't believe I find myself right in line with Grapes. I can't imagine the 2-3 months some people are mentioning. I knew my hairs were thick, but I didn't realize how much of a difference that must make on razor life.

Using the Gilette Sensors, I can force it up to a full 5 day work week, but by the fourth or fifth day, the blades are snagging my skin and pulling the hair.

Wow.

Anywho - in talking about those fancy green battery-powered things - I figure that it's the rock and the mountain. An electric pulse may raise hair a little, but you figure the shave gel has already done 95 percent of that for you - how significant a difference can the electric pulse make in the fraction of a second that it's passing by a spot? Marketing gimmick all the way. Like vitamins in chocolate milk and breakfast cereals. Just take a daily multi and eat whatever gosh dern cereal you want and drink hershey's fer cryin' out loud. :)

OK, now I'm just getting ticked that there are people who can go two months without changing a razor. ;)

23. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Usually about two months or more. I've found that the more blades they add, the less often I need to change them.

I can't wait for the 10 blade shaver.

24. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I've been rotating between two razor blade heads on a mach 3 for .... AGES!

I think i better buy some new ones!

25. vniow macrumors G4

Uhh, like once every three months or so about, its not like I really give a **** whether I'm a bit fuzzy or not nowadays. Although if I let it get too long it just becomes a pain in the ass to shave it off again...