How often does Amazon change their prices?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chiggs, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Chiggs macrumors member

Is this against the law? Amazon sent me an E-Mail offering me a DVD at a certain price. I clicked on the link they provided me in the E-Mail less than 4 hours after they sent it to me and the price was 15% higher. Doesn't seem right...

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I would assume that they change prices to be competitive. But any business reserves the right to up the price, im sure its in the fine print.

But seriously is this a real post or just a guise to get hits to your blog?

Ed

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm not going to click on that link. ;)

All I know is that if they made you an offer on a CD, they should honour it. If you went to their site and find that they raised the price on a DVD, it's their choice.

4. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Amazon has been accused of engaging in 'dynamic pricing'. People have actually looked at an item at a particular price, went shopping some more, returned later only to find the price was now higher. Many companies engage in this. Crucial is a well-documented culprit. Dell also does it. Profile information is stored about your buying habits. These may be in the form of cookies, but many on-line retailers share information among themselves. If you look like an easy chicken to pluck, they will up the price if given the opportunity.

5. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Very often

Recently I was buying a Memory Stick for a friend, and it was around $19.99 for 1Gb. He didn't make his mind then, so the next day, he says "let's buy it"... I go in, and it costs $30+!!!! :eek:

Fortunately we searched somemore and found a 2Gb for ~$22, and that's what he got. But yes, Amazon does change the prices very often... even several times in the same day!

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i was shopping around for a tv and was about to make a decision. but when i went back, the price had risen $100. bought from costco instead.

7. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

They change prices all the effin time. I wonder if it is dynamic pricing??? Not so long ago I had a cart full of stuff, most of which was 25% off or more. I wasn't sure whether I should spend however much my total was, so I decided to sleep on it (actually of 7 hours later). Of course, when I came back to my cart everything had gone up (aside from a Yoko Ono book:D ). Needless to say, Amazon decided for me and I didn't buy anything.

YT