Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GULCkid

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
How often does M$Word freeze on your mac?

If "never," do you think you could get it to freeze if you tried (without doing anything extremely out of the ordinary)?

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
It never freezes on me, but it can start to lag if you have a lot of background processes. That is on my computer anyway.

MS Office for Mac is one of the best programs I have ever used and MUCH better than the Windows version.

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
I don't remember I time when it froze but I remember that it used to crash very frequently before I turned off the AutoComplete feature.

GULCkid

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
iGary said:
My problems always seem to be with some corruption in the app logs... :confused:

What are the app logs for, and what do you mean exactly?

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I have MS v.X loaded on about 700 machines. Word and Powerpoint freeze as often as one would expect it to... perhaps a half-dozen times a day. A nice feature is the auto-save, which has kept some goodwill flowing from the students to me! More often a Powerpoint makes a file that is corrupted, and NOTHING saves it. I'd like to move to Keynote, but folks are used to v.x. Alas, I purchased 750 MC Office 2004 licenses with auto-upgrade.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
iLikeMyiMac said:
I don't remember I time when it froze but I remember that it used to crash very frequently before I turned off the AutoComplete feature.

I thought I read somewhere that the "Check spelling as you type" feature caused this problem. However Word still crashed on me often after I unchecked that option so I decided to turn it on again because I like that feature.

I don't want to experiment with changing too many options so it would be great if you could let me know which specific boxes to check and/or uncheck in the AutoCorrect and/or AutoComplete options to solve the problem.

By the way, I am using Office version X. My assumption is that you are using that version too.

Thanks for the knowledge.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
Les Kern said:
I have MS v.X loaded on about 700 machines. Word and Powerpoint freeze as often as one would expect it to... perhaps a half-dozen times a day. A nice feature is the auto-save, which has kept some goodwill flowing from the students to me! More often a Powerpoint makes a file that is corrupted, and NOTHING saves it. I'd like to move to Keynote, but folks are used to v.x. Alas, I purchased 750 MC Office 2004 licenses with auto-upgrade.

Keynote is not that hard to migrate to. I just bought iWork (which came with Keynote 2) recently and I will probably never use PowerPoint again. Keynote is far ahead of PowerPoint in countless ways. If you want to have your workers do work faster on their presentations then you should get iWork. The problem however that Pages will be bundled with Keynote and you have to pay for both together and you can't buy them separately. Pages is a terrible Application so it probably won't be of good use to you, but you never know.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Word v.X crashes more than any other program on my Mac, which isn't hard considering most of them pretty much never crash. It often "unexpectedly quits." However so far I've never lost any documents to it's crashes, as the autosave has always worked fine.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
daveway00 said:
MS Office for Mac is one of the best programs I have ever used and MUCH better than the Windows version.

I agree. The mac version has a built-in dictionary, a built-in equation editor and an awesome formatting palette unlike all versions of office for Windows I know of. One or two of these might be in the latest version of the Windows Version but I doubt it though.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Extensive (IE daily) Word use for the 10 or so days that I have had my Mac has not led to one crash. Hopefully it will remain this way... :rolleyes:

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I can't remember Word ever crashing or freezing on my comp, but I only use it maybe 6 times a year. For most of my word processing, basic .rtf files in TextEdit are just fine.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Love Keynote, but it still isn't as powerful as PP.

MSWord beats any other Mac word processor hands down.

They freeze at times, but no more than I have seen glitches from iPhoto, Garageband, iMovie, etc.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Office v.X was horrible, slow and amazingly prone to crashing. Proper freeze-up and die crash, often losing quite a bit of work.

v.2004 is far superior, and as well as the cmd+opt+r bells & whistles, is much more stable; although I have had a very, very frustrating "Out of memory" crash a couple of times when trying to manually save a document. Had to revert to the autosaves, bleh.

But yeah, Word 2004 is two thumbs fresh, it has far fewer annoyances than any of the iApps. I guess I'm the only person who finds Pages completely unintuitive, underpowered and crappy...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I only recently upgraded to Office 2004, but Word.X crashed very rarely for me. Maybe once or twice. Actually I just looked at my crash logs, and it has crashed exactly twice, on the same day, in June of last year, and never crashed before or since. Strangeness. Don't remember that specifically. :rolleyes:

Oh, and Office 2004 does have some amazing features. I think it's the first time I've felt like I've gotten something out of an office upgrade. The comments and track changes implementation in Word is gorgeous, and also the idea to put in the floating paste icon that lets you change drop the formatting of something after you paste it is brilliant.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Can we drop the Apple fan boy crap.
We all know Keynote 2 is NO WHERE as powerful as Powerpoint. Look at their timelines, Powerpoint is much more mature.
Pages is not that great. It's a resource hog with RT text wrapping.
I would have to say that I don't like the UI the team for Keynote and Pages uses. I think it is horrible and is the reason I don't use Keynote and Pages often.
MS Office 2004 is the best out there. PERIOD. No more fan boy chanting. :cool:

Maedus

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
Indiana
daveway00 said:
Can we drop the Apple fan boy crap.
We all know Keynote 2 is NO WHERE as powerful as Powerpoint. Look at their timelines, Powerpoint is much more mature.
Pages is not that great. It's a resource hog with RT text wrapping.
I would have to say that I don't like the UI the team for Keynote and Pages uses. I think it is horrible and is the reason I don't use Keynote and Pages often.
MS Office 2004 is the best out there. PERIOD. No more fan boy chanting. :cool:

Apple fan boy crap? So people don't like powerpoint as much as they like Keynote 2 and that's being an Apple fan boy? I didn't even see anybody support Pages over Word. Personally, I detest Office 2004 because it is extremely bloated and counter intuitive. Customizing the app is a pain because there is no central location for all the various preferences and functions and the program is extremely bloated and runs unnecessarily slow. And I hate how Word things it knows what I want my document to look like better than me. I liked Nisus Express when it was in beta, but that's the problem, its still under development and features are still being added. Plus, I got Office free from college and they strongly recommend you use it in order to have no compatability problems with other users. While Word 2004 is better than Word v.X, it still hangs up a bits and its features are hard to find and seem limited to me. But free is free and its bearable enough to write papers on. I'd just have to check out a lot more word processors before I could state which one is best.

As for how often it freezes, I can't remember the last time Word froze on me and I had to force quit it. Usually it recovers or it just full out crashes.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Word freeze? nope, slow down, nope

been reliable for me in the two years i have had my mac

and being an english major i do a lot of writing with word

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Oh, and I forgot to answer part two of your question -- whether I could *make* Word crash. Nothing I'm aware of. Are there any known things that are pretty sure fire crashmongers for Word.X or 2004? I'm not sure about autocomplete. I don't remember what that does -- I'll have to look into it.

Not like GIMP where I know a quick flythrough of the fonts list will crash it guaranteed. ;) I went back and looked again, and I've had two crashes for Excel, two for Word, and one for Powerpoint, altogether.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
GULCkid said:
How often does M$Word freeze on your mac?

If "never," do you think you could get it to freeze if you tried (without doing anything extremely out of the ordinary)?

which verison?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Touch wood, I've never lost anything on Office v.X and I do some pretty hefty stuff with Word. It's a pretty stable program that I've never really had any trouble with - easily the best thing to have come out of Redmond. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.