How often does your power go out?

Discussion in 'Community' started by wordmunger, Mar 9, 2004.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I can probably count the number of times there was a power outage in Seattle (where I spent the first 18 years of my life) on one hand. Yet in the past two or three years, here in North Carolina we've lost power at least six times that I can easily recall. I'm talking about significant outages here, more than an hour long. A couple of them lasted several days.

How often does the power go out where you live? Is my experience here in North Carolina unusual, or was my Seattle experience more atypical?
  2. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
  3. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003
    well, there was the whole nyc/toronto/detroit and beyond blackout... that was notable. but a whole lot of fun, in retrospect.

i used to live in upstate NY in a far more rural area, and power outages weren't uncommon. a heavy storm could bring down power for a few days, and there were just sporadic occasional random outages for half an hour or an hour or two.
  4. joker2 macrumors 6502a

Feb 19, 2003
    DC area
    depends on where the lines are

It depends on where the lines are and how well they're maintained. PEPCO in DC has problems, but I haven't had many problems with Dominion VA power in Northern VA. Mine didn't even go out for Isabel.

Most of the places I've lived, most of the wires are underground with just the main feeders on poles-- seems the poles are the biggest problems, especially if not maintained.
  5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    If you have Progress Energy, it probably goes out quite a lot.

Every day, there are small interruptions. They aren't enough to stop all equipment but just enough to shut down a computer or some other electronic devices. Having a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) is a necessity being in a part of Floriduh using Progress Energy, which used to be Florida Power here.
  6. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Two (or maybe three) times here, in the past 20 years.
  7. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Man, I'm amazed at the variety of responses already. And I want to live in New Zealand!

I wonder if the difference has to do with whether the power company is private or public. In Seattle, it was a public service of the city: Seattle City Light. In most of North Carolina, it's Duke Power (though I'm actually served by a smaller cooperative called Energy United). Maybe when a company (or even a cooperative) is trying to squeeze out every last penny of profit, it naturally skimps on maintenance.
  8. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Most of our outages according to NStar have been related to upgrade work. They usually only last a few minutes. There was one time that it was out for about 6 hour. A representative of our Mayor visited everyone on the street to check it there was anything that we needed.
  9. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    power outages as far as i remember: 2: once during a heavy storm because of a lightning that outage lasted perhaps 10-15 minutes i was 9-11 don't emember exactly
    and once there failed a big transformer at the electric company, until the back-up took over it was perhaps 5-10 minutes i guess i was 12-13

perhaps there were a few when i was 0-6 years old don't remeber any .. i guess 2

since i was 13 i can't remember one outage
    but now about 95% of all wires are underground only the real big ultra high voltage wires are in the air
    i remember that last year there was a outage in vienna with about 30 minutes for 3-4 districts (there are 17 in vienna) that was one of the biggest in the last years...i guess that's nothing compared to pulling the plug of whole boston area ;)
  10. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    LIPA used to be horrible but after 5 years of yelling that the same transformer blew every 3 days they fixed it!

Once a month.
  11. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    last night we had one, and there was like 20 fireman at the end of our development when it happened. it sucked cause i lost my 16 day uptime on my g5, but thats ok. went to bed early then had all my stuff cmoe back on at 3 in the morning, quite annoying.

12. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
  13. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Not recently which is a shame. It's refreshing when the power goes out. My townhouse is smacked up against a small forest. When the power goes out its nice to sit on the back deck and relax with NO light pollution. I deal with tech all freaking day long. If I'm away from the net\TV\Radio for a few hours to a day and get to enjoy candlelight which IMHO is very relaxing so much the better. The last major power outage here was about 10 years ago. About a square mile was without power for a day. Since then we have minor hiccups that last only a few minutes. Check that. We did have an outage about 3 winters ago. The neighbors where panicking over it.
    I think its truly pathetic how people have become so hopelessly and disgustingly dependant on tech. Its some woman in her mid 30's that came over after the power was out for about er. I'm guessing 4 hours. It was –3 out and she was scared that they were going to freeze to death in their house. :rolleyes: She and her son wanted to go to a hotel until this little crisis blew over but obviously couldn't open the garage door. *sighs* Wow someone was having a blond moment. Walked into her house in shorts which freaked her out. (OMG! How can I wear shorts in this weather?!?!?) Pointed to the little red dangling string. I pulled it. And roll up the door. Walked briskly, home and crawl into bed and pass out again.
  14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I live in the Herndon and Reston area. When I moved in 12 years ago i felt as if i were living in a 3rd world country. A rain drop seemed to wipe out the power. And all our lines are underground! things have gotten better over the last few years.

i am afraid that we see more power outages as time goes o though. Blame it on deregulation. In my civic classes i was taught that the basic services were better under the premise of a monopoly. i guess we are seeing that first hand. In this area they are predicting that electric costs will go up 25-505 for Pepco this year since they now buy the electricity instead of producing it.