How ofton do you have to shut down the ibook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CaptainCaveMann, Oct 22, 2004.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Can i just leave an ibook on all the time? How ofton should i turn it off and give it a break to cool or soemthing?

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

you can pretty much leave it on as long as you want. just to save the backlight, i'd shut the lid and put the machine to sleep, but there's no great harm in leaving it on...

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Since i bought it in June I've only ever turned my powerbook off once - to upgrade the memory. I just close the lid to put it to sleep at the end of the day and open it again the next morning. It stays cool when sleeping as power consumption is minimal.

My experience is you just use it and don't worry about it

4. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

I also close the lid to make it sleep I think I have turned my iBook off a total of oh maybe 3 times.

5. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Once after my Powerbook had been on a month, it stopped fully recognizing my firewire disk when I turned it on. I could get to the files, but it didn't show on the desktop and find file couldn't see anything on it. Restarting fixed me up-though it may be that logging out and back in would do the trick I don't recall if I tried that or not.

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

This isn't totally on topic, but it isn't worth posting a new thread for, either.

Does anyone remember the terminal command for uptime? I've never done it, so i don't even know what it could be, but I now it exists. Forgive my newbishness,

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh...

Yeah, type in U P T I M E

8. abc123 macrumors 6502

i turn my powerbook off only when i do an update that requires a restart. aside from that i think i've turned it off once since april to give it a bit of a wipe down.

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Thanks....for making me look like an idiot. You could've PM'd it to me ;)!

Not a bad uptime... 34 days...

10. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Nah, if he had told you to leave out the spaces, then you could accuse him of making you look like an idiot. :D

11. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

How do you know when to do an update?? Does the ibook automaticly prompt you for an update?

12. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Go to the apple menu and click software update. If there's anything you need, it will be automatically selected. Just hit install.

13. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Any disadvantages of shutting it down every day? I only use my iBook once on weekdays for about 15 mins to check email or surf the web from the bed.

14. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I only restart if im forced to after a software update or application install, or if freezes... which rarely happens anyway, lol.

my powerbook has been up for 3 days now, the max ive had it on was I think 22days, before the new update was released.

15. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

My PowerBook has been OFF for only a few hours over the past year. I just let it sleep the rest of the time. It keeps the machine ready to use anytime, and supposedly helps OS X run better, something to do with caches. Anyways, I really don't see a point to turning any machine off when you can just let it sleep/standby.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have had our iBook on 24/7 for several over six months now with now problem. The back light goes off to save energy. Being a G3 model the heat doesn't seem to be problem. It is only restarted with an update.

17. Colonel Panik macrumors regular

Only when you have to install memory, or upgrade the OS. We leave ours on the whole time, just sleeping at night, like the rest of us.

18. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Turn off? I hope you're kidding ;) ...

Since I got it in may, it hasn't been off a single minute, I got my second RAM stick before the iBook, so, everything was done before turning it on for the first and single time ... Nice, eh?

Just close the lid and feel free to have your apps as soon as you open it...

19. Jsmit macrumors regular

Here is an article on why you should turn off you computer as often as possible: CNN Article .

20. Gherkin macrumors 6502

I don't even put my PB to sleep at night. I turn down the brightness on the screen all the way, and keep it on so my instant messenger stays on all night.

21. ricebag macrumors member

whatever

On my old iBook - 500 mhz dual usb - I was playing a game on a SNES emulator and wasn't sure if the saving functions worked and didn't want to lose my hard-won progress, so I left it on for months with the game running the whole time. With that program open the whole time, the performance did degrade a little, but heck, not much, and that was two years ago, with one program running nonstop.

(For those who are curious about the outcome, I "accidentally" installed a software update one day and had to restart... and it turned out the save function did work.)

22. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

I also never turn off my powerbook, just close the lid and let it sleep... and that sbility is really a thing that distinguishes mac from other laptops - i can't believe that pc laptops can't do that... they take several seconds to wake up, a mac does it in just a moment! It's so cool...:)

23. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

What game was it?

24. abc123 macrumors 6502

an ibook/powerbook is a little different, that article says that it is the "green" thing to do because while a computer is idle it uses heaps of power. i don't know exactly how long they can last but i've left my powerbook asleep for days, not connected to a power supply and the battery has hardly drained at all.
    if you are worried about saving power, just disconnect the computer from the power supply when you put it to sleep :)

25. Zardoz macrumors newbie

In fact, turning off your iBook may be dangerous. I once turned my AlBook off for a week during vacation, and here's what I came home to. Only a week! WHY!

[​IMG]