How old is my mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by irishgrizzly, Jun 19, 2007.

1. macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Is there a way of dating a mac by looking in the os. Like checking the system profile, or something?

2. macrumors 68000

lamina

You can click the :apple: at the top left of your screen, and go to About this Mac. Then click on More info... and compare your specs to computers listed in MacTracker

3. macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Not to my knowledge, really you can best date your mac by telling what kind it is (iMac, PowerMac, MacPro etc) and then telling what kind of processor it is and how much speed it has.

4. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Your Mac's serial number will reveal all. Try entering it into this website and it'll tell you the year, month and place of manufacture.

In case you don't know, you can find the serial number easily by looking in the About This Mac window lamina mentioned – click twice on the version of the OS that is listed, and it'll show you the serial.

5. macrumors 6502

coconutIdentityCard

This is an app that tells you when it was made.

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

What a great site! I knew when which year I'd got it just not which month (or week!)

7. macrumors regular

I don't know about you guys, but the idea of entering my serial number into some unaccountable site is... Reckless.

Go to http://www.apple.com/support/

In the bottom left corner, enter your serial number. Apple will tell you the model, the original date of purchase, and give you customized support, repair and registration options.

Much more useful, and safer than some random site in the Netherlands.

8. macrumors 68000

lamina

What could someone do with a serial number?

9. macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Steal your Identity! And use it in the most heinous of ways.

10. macrumors 603

mrkramer

they could use it in an ebay auction or other scam and get the evidence to point to you as they owner of that serial number.

11. macrumors regular

With your serial number, they can register your machine to themselves, then report it stolen. They can carry out all manner of frauds leaving you as the scapegoat. They can clone your machine's identity.

It's the reason you see so many screenshots with the serial number blurred. There's a good reason for it.