How old were you when you learnt to drive?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by potatoarms, Jan 3, 2006.

1. potatoarms macrumors member

potatoarms

Hello :)

How old were you when you learnt how to drive?

Also - on the subject of learning to drive, do you have any funny/silly stories about little mishaps you had, like bodged up car manouvers :D?

It took me ages to be able to park in the garage :eek: without scraping the side mirror :D

Take care
    Potatoarms

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Driving at 10. License at 14 (Farm permit & Learner's/School Permit)

Real License at 16.

Pilot at 17. :D

Oh and at 15, I almost rolled a tandem dual truck full of grain when it started to get away from me on a gravel road. But I managed to get it under control ... luckily.

3. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

I was 8 and started driving stick on my own little grocery excursions when I was 11 (I looked older). Funny thing was, it was my mom's own laziness that she would ask me to run to the store.

I became legal at 15, despite getting into a fender-bender on the way home from the DMV. It wasn't my fault, I swear! Some guy backed into me.

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

well i drove my parents crazy from birth, but that's another story :p

i learned to drive at 14, got a permit at 15; i got a license at 16.

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Just as the law permits here: driving permit age 15, license obtained age 16. Learned stick at age 18.

6. potatoarms thread starter macrumors member

potatoarms

You have to be 17 to pass over here and we have 3 tests :( ..

7. mpw Guest

Off road from ~10yrs. On road and legal from 17yrs (that's the youngest you can here).
    As for 'funny' stories try post 4 here

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i got my license when i was 16. it was interesting because, having a very late birthday for my grade (october- i was 17 graduating high school), i was still on schedule with most of the people in my school as in NJ the license age is 17, but i was getting my license in PA because my dad was in the army and had residency there.

i've only been in one accident that involved another person (had a few spin outs) and it didn't really cause damage to their car, and not enough to mine to warrant an insurance claim..

one speeding ticket (which was kind of a joke anyways...) not too horrible (8 years later)

9. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I started driving at 16, in Canada it gets broke down as follows;

• G1 at 16 (allowed to drive with a person who's had their G for at least four years)

• G2 at 17 (allowed to drive by yourself, but have to have zero blood alcohol and are responsible for people wearing seat belts)

• G at 18 (full license)

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Learned to drive when I was about 11 (legal age in Norway is 18, but you can have lessons from the age of 17). Got my licence when I was 28 (just didn't need it before that... :)).

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I was 5 when I started driving.

It started with me steering the car while sitting on my dad's lap. We would get onto a soccer field and he would coach me on how to drive between the goal posts. Police pulled us over after neighbors' saw what we were doing. We didn't get a citation, thank goodness.

I actually drove the family in a van from Vancouver to Edmonton when I was 12. My sister was freaking out the whole time! hehe. I got my license when I was 16.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i got my permit at 16 and my license at 17... first car at 18 :D

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I got my learners permit in my B-day when I turned 16. It was the earliest the law would allow. That day, my dad told me I could drive. He said he would be right back. 15 minutes later he called me outside and said "let's go". My dad is a landscaper. He attached his 16 foot trailer to the pickup. He attached the 7 foot snowplow to the front. He said if I can drive this, I can drive anything. So here I am driving for the first time and my vehicle had to be 40+ foot long and 7 foot wide. I live in a small down with not the widest of roads. It wasn't the pleasant experince. I was afraid I was going to hit everything. It worked I guess though. I got my full license just 2 weeks later.

14. haiggy macrumors 65816

I was 12 or 13... I remember touching the pedals and feeling like I was going so fast... and learned very quickly how sensitive they were. That gave me a shock.

I got my license on my 16th birthday (G1) and took driver training... and now I'm going to go for my G2 road test in 8 days! Can't wait!

15. Golden_315 macrumors member

I'm 18 and still haven't gone out to get my Learners. Just don't need it.

16. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Im learning to drive now ( well not right now). Im 16, mishaps none worth mentioning so far. Ill let you know if somethig comes up.

17. dcv macrumors G3

17 and not actually driven all that much since then :eek:

I've probably done more driving in Denmark than in the UK (worked in Copenhagen for a little while a few years ago)!

18. iGav macrumors G3

13, Vauxhall Carlton 2.0 GL, manual transmission, Southport Beach. ;)

Legally started to learn to drive on my 17th birthday, passed first time about 2 weeks later.

I take my driving very, very seriously. ;) :D

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

In the driver's seat as early as 1, but started learning at 7. Taught my mum how to use a manual transmission at 10 when she had to have a VW Beetle convertible.

Because of age restrictions, I took driver's education when I was already 16. After I took the wheel during my first instruction, my instructor asked "You've been driving before this, haven't you?" :D

20. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Permit at age 15

License at age 16

Still don't really know how to drive a stick :eek:

Started out by holding the steering wheel for my mother on our street.

21. goodwill macrumors regular

im surprised there hasn't been a spelling nazi up on this thread yet. haha.

nonetheless. i learned at 15 and could officially get my license at 16. i can still recall all the nights i snuck out and took my parent's car over to girls houses before i actually had that license. the glory days.

22. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

legal age here in britain

what with these narrow winding roads and roundabouts!

23. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Here I am!!!

Well, I was going to provide a link to Merriam-Webster dictionary. "Learned" would be the proper term instead of learnt. However, the dictionary states that "learnt" is a "chiefly British past and participle of learn".

link

I learned to drive at age 15.

24. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

In NY, it's 16 for permit, so that's when I got it. I can drive with anyone over 21 who's a licensed driver, so it's not that bad at all. I drive a lot, whenever we go anywhere. I don't think it's fun necessarily, but now when I'm not driving, it bothers me that I can't control anything about the other driver...I guess I mean I feel "safer?" if I'm driving which probably isn't true...but hey!

Before that...maybe 10-14, I did off road Jeeping (normal jeep...just off road...) in my grandpa's field/woods whenever we went there. Only got stuck once! :D Man I love jeeps...

25. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

17 for the car like most of the UK peeps here - and then 29 when I passed my full bike license last autumn. Both first time too :p :p