How on earth do I video chat w/ PC users?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kingsly, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I have tried every different configuration imaginable, it just wont work!! my friend has a USB camera and AIM (but can get other services, if needed) Help?

2. iShane macrumors 6502a

Have him (or her) upgrade his Verision of AIM. I think they have AIM Trition for PC's now, that's probably what you would need to use. If this doesn't work I don't think anything will, my friend (who has a mac) tried this before with one of their friends and it didn't work. Also, try Yahoo but audio might not work.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

It is possible, but the right version of AIM is crucial for the PC user. I hook up with a PC user relative every few weeks and we usually get a couple of freezes at his end every session. I just wait for him to restart and we carry on with me encouraging him to get a Mac and save himself the hassle. What really ticks him off is when I tell him that that I haven't rebooted my Mac since the last session :)

5. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Because I am trying to get him to go Mac. :D
    My suggestion to him was "either buy a mac or put OSX86 on an extra drive and use iChat to talk to me"

6. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

I thought Yahoo messenger had video chat for Mac??

7. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Oh wow, that was very useful.

:rolleyes:

8. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I've had a successful A/V chat with a Windows using friend. I guess she was on the most current version of AIM.

Yup, video but no audio.

9. road dog macrumors regular

I just went through all of this... since I wanted to get video conf going with my mom so she could see my daughter.

Me - PowerBook, Mac OS 10.4, iSight camera, basic DSL
    She - Dell Desktop, XP Home, Logitech camera, basic DSL

I tried AIM to iChat and the video quality was awful.

I am having much better luck with Sightspeed... they have both Mac and PC software, so you have to update on both ends.

I would prefer to use iChat, but this is working much better for this particular video conference.

I spent about $75 and got a higher end Logitech camera with echo noise cancellation... makes a big difference.

10. terri196 macrumors newbie

11. SeattleSparks macrumors newbie

Generally, at least one of you needs to not be behind NAT. Even iChat/iChat has some problem if both users are behind NAT, but AIM/iChat just... out and out doesn't want to play, if one or the other of you doesn't have a publicly accessible IP address.

Even when you do, AIM video chat sometimes explodes.

12. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

im not sure if triton supports video i know it doesnt support one way video to be safe have the pc end get aim 5.5, and than you have to set it up somewhere in preferences sorry im not to specific i havnt used a pc in ages.

13. Invizzible macrumors regular

Skype now supports cross platform video chatting.

14. Pask macrumors newbie

I've only had my iMac less than a week and didn't realise this was a difficult task as I just downloaded Skype and it works a treat.

15. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Exactly. Get your friend on Skype if they're not already...video chatting with PC users is a breeze.

AIM/iChat is hit or miss.

Sight Speed has a terrible layout and I think it costs money at some point.

Skype is the best.

16. NatPro macrumors member

NatPro

lol, so true

17. SPinc33 macrumors member

i have a related question-

how do you do a one-way video chat? my buddy has a macbook and i have an powerbook g4 without iSight, but he wants to display video. We've tried changing the settings in Skype...is there any way to get this to work in either Skype or iChat??

18. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Skype looks fine on the Mac, but the PC screen looks like it has a similarly small size to the AIM solution, which cannot be altered. Sight Speed works really well and you do not need to pay unless you plan to have multiple people online video chatting together.

19. alFR macrumors 68020

Not true - the PC Skype client supports video chatting in a small window, in a large window or fullscreen.

20. BeefUK macrumors member

I've had a few video conferences with my uncle using skype, from my PC to his mac. Both of us commented on how good the image and sound quality was, think skype is the way forward. It is noticeably better than msn!!