How or Why to reset VRAM??

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by 8thDegreeSavage, Oct 3, 2002.

1. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

I am wondering if it is a good idea, and how its done.

I dont feel my Geforce 4 MX is reaching its full potential, i have just recently upgraded from a Geforc2 mx 32mb to a 4mx 6mb and i thought i would see some difference in performance in soem of the games i play(UT,MOH,Q3) etc....

Another person on a different board suggested resetting VRAM..but didnt include how to do it...can anyone of you help me out with this...or tell why i shouldnt bother.

2. Bradcoe macrumors regular

You dont do that

You don't reset your VRAM. Maybe you're thinking of the bios on teh video card, but there's no other hardware code you would "reset." As far as teh performance goes, You certainly should notice a gain going from 2mx 32mb to 4mx 64mb. the 4mx isn't great (about equal to the 2Ti) but its a great bargain these days. It's also got twice the memory, so go and raise you the setting on your detail options in the game. More memory means it can store more textures (and similarly, more detailed textures) in RAM. What screen resolution are you playing at? My friend has a GeForce4MX 64mb in his PM867 G4 and he gets great frame rates in all his video games on his 17" Apple LCD's native resolution (I'm pretty sure its 1280x1024). You should too.

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Maybe the guy was thinking of NVRAM or something... or he simply didn't know what he was talking about.

4. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

The only things i know how to reset are the PMU and the PRAM. I think taht guy had no idea waht he was talking about. VRAM cannot be purged because it is purged every time you turn off ur system.

I think you're only noticeing slowdown because all of those games u mentioned have lots of texture mapping and pixel shading. Since the Gf4Mx doesnt have eitehr on the VPU itself, it makes the processor do the shading and texture work. I hope that answers ur question.

5. 8thDegreeSavage thread starter macrumors 6502

6. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

no problemo