How?: Panther countdown graphic on apple.com

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development (archive)' started by unregbaron, Oct 13, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

..did they have an intern slaving away for months doing animated gifs of all date/time combinations?

Java?

If anyone knows please explain as basically as possible - i know nothing beyond assembling basic pages in dreamweaver...

thanks

2. macrumors 65816

groovebuster

A simple click to take a look at the source code of the page would have reveiled that information.

It is done by a JavaScript.

So actually no big deal!

Greetings,

groovebuster

3. thread starter macrumors regular

thanks - I realised I could do that seconds after posting, but it didn't really help!

For me Java is the indiscovered country so I will have to look into it myself a bit more to understand...

Funny how the apple uk homepage doesn't bother with it..
    http://www.apple.com/uk

thanks for your patience

u

4. macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Java != JavaScript.

Keep that in mind to prevent yourself from frustration and misunderstandings.

JavaScript is "just" a scripting enhancement for webbrowsers. Java is a complete Software development environment.

Greetings from Berlin,

groovebuster

5. macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Yes I really wish JavaScript and Java had dissimilar names to avoid confusion. I like the name Oak better anyways.

6. macrumors regular

Is there any that script could be compiled into a stand alone app or widget that I could place on my desktop all the time? That would be sweet.

7. macrumors 65816

whocares

I can remember one thread about this. I think someone created a widget of it. I'll go look...

...found it:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41249

8. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It should be widget-able... However, as a minor correction, scripts aren't "compiled"

9. macrumors regular

I know that scripts aren't compilied, but to run as a stand alone app some code would have to be compiled.

10. macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

the whole purpose of a script is that it isn't compiled, so it can be run on any machine with an interpreter.

konfabulator is a javascript interpreter that lets you make "widgets" with javascript and applescript that can do all kinds of cool things.

11. macrumors 6502

I think he meant "made" or "written." I know nothing of code, I'm just taking a stab here. lol, I once had a discussion with a programmer for about an hour about....actually now that I think about it, it was this very same subject, something with scripts and I can't remember it was a year ago.

12. macrumors 68000

Gymnut

13. macrumors regular

Moving Apple's code into the widget took about a half hour. Of which 95% of that half hour was getting the hOffsets and vOffsets where I wanted them.

Konfabulator is awesome, and the code is very simple, although I still don't know why the flip effect isn't working in Konfabulator like Apple's web site.

14. macrumors 603

janey

15. macrumors regular

16. macrumors 65816

Now the mini countdown is just QuickTime, not as complex but simplicity was the key for Apple.
    Just save the source (.mov) and watch it play on your desktop :)