Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walleyealx

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2006
I plan on using the computer as a desktop for most of the time, but occasionally i may need to haul it around.

I have a new dell laptop (i know....) that i will use for note-taking or general portability.

I could get a refurb MBP and just use that, but its not as powerul as the C2D imac 20" would be.

Take into consideration that the 22lb weight of the computer is not an issue for me. I'm just wondering if it is durable enough for travel in a car and easy to set up.

Any input is appreciated!! Thanks!!

vrocko

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2006
easily portable

I hace a 24" C2D imac and use it for music recording and production all you need is one of these
ilugger.com

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I second the iLugger recommendation.

Granted, these aren't intended to be portable computers, but they're surprisingly easy to cart around anyway.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
As far as true desktops go, it's better than most, primarily just because it has few cables, no external doors or knobs or anything to break off, etc. I third the iLugger. It seems perfect for this. But then I've really only moved my iMac once, so I don't actually have one.

As far as anything that's even sort of like a laptop, probably including the Dell, I would guess though that it would not be as good. I think the Dell weighs a comparable amount however.

You might add extra consideration for the bluetooth wireless mouse and keyboard, though, in your case. The less wires, the less irritating it is to move around. Ideally just one power cable! ;)

Oh, yes, PS, they're way sweet. :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
i was thinking of getting one, anyone got any pictures or comments about them.
If you mean the iLugger, I have one - and it looks just like on their site. I have a mere 17" iMac, so there's plenty of room, but there appears to be enough room for a 20" as well (do they still sell the combined 17"/20" model? dunno).

It's very durable, and about as compact as you'd want whilst still having room for the iMac, KB, mouse, and a small set of accessories. I also recommend the BT KB/mouse option, but the wired versions fit just fine as well.

Quality product, says what it does, does what it says. It is not a hard case, so, while it protects the screen, you wouldn't check it as luggage or anything, but it is well padded.

volk

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2006
True portability is best left to laptops. An occassional move of an iMac probably isn't too bad, but if you have to do it with any regularity at all, then I would recommend a laptop. Of course, if you have access to a monitor wherever you might lug it, a mini can make a very portable desktop.

The iMac is as sweet as they come, though.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.