How powerful is the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr Skills, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

OK, I know this has to be pure speculation as we don't even know what sort of processor it has.

But based on the keynote demo, can anyone make an educated guess as to how much power the iPhone packs compared to, say DS, PSP etc? Could we see decent games on this thing?

2. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

DS has a CPU that is well over 10 years old now. Most likely to be an ARM processor as Apple have worked with them in the past.

3. Doozy macrumors regular

I don't know how powerful the iPhone is, but when I asked the Apple representative at the Apple iPhone Display on whether the iPhone will support the ipod games currently being sold he said and I quote:

We have not shown that capability yet. The Short answer is No. The iPhone will not play the ipod games.​

To me this sounds like they will in the future make games that utilize the multi-touch, but this is speculation on my part. Right now this current iPhone does not play games.

4. metalray@mac.co macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

5. Doozy macrumors regular

That is a cool video, I had only seen the map portion before. I am sure they will develop some cool games with multi-touch, they just aren't shipping with this version.

6. Mr Skills thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

It was more of a hypothetical question, ie "if someone made games, what could they be like, given the power of the iPhone?" :)

7. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Yeah, what's with the non-disclosure on the processor specs?
    I didn't notice any screen lag and the resolution is rather high, so it's probably quite poweful.

Anyway, games would be sweet but they'd probably draw even more power than watching movies. As the battery life is kinda lame I'm hoping for a 2nd gen next year. Movies, music, calendar, calls, camera, surfing, mail AND games, all very nice but if you have to do it all next to the wall socket with the charger plugged in, it's not much of a mobile device, more of a very small iMac really. And it's not just battery life, but battery life span. I recharge my iPod once every 3-4 days, but a well used iPhone will see 2-3 recharges per day.

8. techdread macrumors newbie

9. Stargaze macrumors member

you brought back a thread that was over 2 years old LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone

there is the specs in wikipedia