How prevalant are g5 audio problems?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bhennies, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Hi...so I've decided to get a Rev. A dual 1.8 g5 (I know, I know I swore I wouldn't buy one, but the price is just too good). However, my question is this...how prevalant are the audio problems? Is it an isolated batch of problem plagued computers, or is it something that most users won't notice but every g5 has the problem? As a pro-audio user, I'm a little scared to buy one to be honest. Feels like Russian roulette. Thanks!

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Which noise problem, the awful fan noise -- or the humming when you connect the balance i/o to the Macs analog audio i/o ports?

The fan noise is talked about quite a bit on http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G5/G5_noise_tips.html

The analog audio problem I have not seen too much about, but it was also a problem on the MDD G4 and I don't know if Apple made it worse in the G5.

Though Apple recently made some kbase comments on their support page about the MDD machine.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75408

3. Bhennies thread starter macrumors 6502

Mostly the audio noise (chirping etc.). The fan noise also. Is this a bad idea to get one?

4. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Xapplimatic

Noise problems are fixed.

According to knowledgebase articles I read and some press release stuff quoted on a few applecentric sites, Apple has tamed issues with power supply chirping as well as issues with audio out as of January or February.

5. Bhennies thread starter macrumors 6502

So I suppose that if I buy a new dual 1.8, it should be fine?