Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
Hi...so I've decided to get a Rev. A dual 1.8 g5 (I know, I know I swore I wouldn't buy one, but the price is just too good). However, my question is this...how prevalant are the audio problems? Is it an isolated batch of problem plagued computers, or is it something that most users won't notice but every g5 has the problem? As a pro-audio user, I'm a little scared to buy one to be honest. Feels like Russian roulette. Thanks!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Which noise problem, the awful fan noise -- or the humming when you connect the balance i/o to the Macs analog audio i/o ports?

The fan noise is talked about quite a bit on http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G5/G5_noise_tips.html

The analog audio problem I have not seen too much about, but it was also a problem on the MDD G4 and I don't know if Apple made it worse in the G5.

Though Apple recently made some kbase comments on their support page about the MDD machine.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75408

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
Sun Baked said:
Which noise problem, the awful fan noise -- or the humming when you connect the balance i/o to the Macs analog audio i/o ports?
Mostly the audio noise (chirping etc.). The fan noise also. Is this a bad idea to get one?

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Noise problems are fixed.

According to knowledgebase articles I read and some press release stuff quoted on a few applecentric sites, Apple has tamed issues with power supply chirping as well as issues with audio out as of January or February.

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
Xapplimatic said:
According to knowledgebase articles I read and some press release stuff quoted on a few applecentric sites, Apple has tamed issues with power supply chirping as well as issues with audio out as of January or February.
So I suppose that if I buy a new dual 1.8, it should be fine?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.