How quiet are the imacs?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by noelmac75, Feb 16, 2003.

1. noelmac75 macrumors regular

Thinking about purchasing a new iMac, just wondered how quiet they are, how much quieter would they be than my G4 450mhz, do they use fans in the imac? Is it like the cube? If they dont use fans how come they dont heat up

2. Bear macrumors G3

Re: How quiet are the imacs?

The iMac G4 Flat Panel models are rather quiet. There are no fans.

How does it keep from overheating? Simple, the design allows for enough heat to radiate away without a fan.

3. noelmac75 thread starter macrumors regular

So there is no sound from it at all then? That must be what the little holes are for at the top of the base. Do you think they are fast, what are they like for running apps like photoshop/quark , how do games run on it.

4. backspinner macrumors 6502a

The flat panel iMac has a large slow fan at the top I thought.

5. Bear macrumors G3

I sit corrected, I thought those were just air vents for radiant heat disperssion. It feels like there may be a fan in there.

As for the noise level, it's very low. I thought all the noise was from the harddrive.

To me it's quiet enough that the optical drive spinning up is very noticable.

I suggest listening to it in a store if you're really concerned.

It's definitely quieter the the TiBook (DVI) model with it's fans. Yes fans. The newer TiBook models have two fans.

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yes there is a fan pretty quiet though but if you will only know when you accidentally cover the top and start doing something that uses most of your CPU.

Then you start noticing.

7. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

8. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

there is a small fan under the holes on the top. i have my iMac on all the time, and there is virtually no noise coming from it. it's very quiet.