How quiet is the eMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by alexf, Apr 26, 2004.

1. alexf macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2004
    Planet Earth
    I am considering replacing my G4 Cube with a new eMac and was just wondering whether anyone can tell me how quiet the eMacs are... I assume they have a fan, unlike the Cube, but does anyone know whether they are really considerably noisier?

Also, how does the built in display compare with the Apple 17" (CRT) studio display (the last CRT they ever made), which I am using now. Is it an improvement or not as good, since it is not as professionally oriented?

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2003
    the display in the emac is a flat CRT personally i think it looks better than the studio ones
    the emac does have a fan they're not too too noisy might want to check it out in person and check the noise

3. largo macrumors newbie

Apr 27, 2004
    i bought a new 1.25/superdrive emac, and its very quiet. its quieter than my firewire drive enclosure i think, and i certainly can't hear it at all if the PC across the room is turned on.
    i've never owned an apple CRT, so i can't say. the emac screen is not quite as nice as my old sony 17" was new, though its quite a lot better than the sony has gotten six years on. i don't have any problems doing a bit of photoshop work on it.
  4. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    buffalo ny
    i just spent about five hours tooling around a new emac yesterday...

ive never used an apple CRT... but believe me that screen [emac] is
    about the nicest monitor ive ever worked on...

as far as noise... the fan turned on maybe twice and for brief periods...
    and was hardly audible...
    you can also hear the HD spin every once in a while...

awsome machine... but i recommend more than 512 ram [thats what
    this one had] to improve snappiness...
  5. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    It's very nice to hear that the eMac is quiet from you guys with new 1,25GHz eMacs, because the old 1GHz eMac was very noisy. The fan was always on and quite loud. The only good thing I can say about it was that the fan, although loud, seemed to spin at a relatively low frequency, so the noise wasn't as wearing as the often high-pitched multi-frequency noise from most modern x86 PCs.
  6. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2003
    I dont know if this has been fixed on the new eMacs, but on the 1Ghz variety, if the sound is high, the screen will shake- a shielding issue, I think. The fan is audible when many things are running, or when I'm playing Warcraft3, but it is a dull noise, not high-pitched/annoying.

Hope that helps.

7. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2004
    My eMac is quite loud. I mean, i guess loudness is subjective, but for me, its way too loud stock, especially since the eMac sits just a foot or two away from you, unlike a tower which sits under your desk. I'm actually considering replacing the fan with something quieter. I'm not sure how the new eMacs perform though. Its quite possible they replaced them with speed control fans.

The screen, while having great brightness and color, is still a horrible shadow mask screen - meaning that the dpi by the edges of the screen decreases compared to the center. It also has a sorta "grid" effect. Here is a pic that compares the monitor of the eMac to an old iMac DV.

iMac DV

Now, this is not to say the eMac screen is complete garbage. But any recent diamondtron or trinitron tube would produce far superior quality. As you can see, even the ancient iMac screen had better quality.