Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thegolem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
England
For e. g does anyone not back up files in case something happens to Files on icloud? I've been doing that but now I've got cold feet about it and downloaded my files on to a laptop and made backups on to memory sticks.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
For e. g does anyone not back up files in case something happens to Files on icloud? I've been doing that but now I've got cold feet about it and downloaded my files on to a laptop and made backups on to memory sticks.

I haven't read anything about how Apple keeps data backed up, but I think most hosts do keep things backed up pretty well. There probably is something in the terms of service stating that Apple is not responsible if your Data is lost. That said, I don't think it should be a problem at all.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Am in the camp of, Trust Myself and full stop.

Depends how critical is your data.

I personally use the cloud for fast synching between devices and not really for back up, because, lets face it, unless you have a fiber connection, your Internet speed is not that great, and when you need to restore, you are usually in a hurry and do you want to wait hours to restore your stuff versus maybe 1/2 hour if they have stored locally?

The other question I have is, does Apple always encrypt your data? If not, I ain't NEVER placing my contacts through the cloud, nor anything that I consider private.

These days and age, it's all about selling your data. That's what Googles does, that's what Facebook does, you don't get nothing for free, and that's my $0.02.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Apple have a support Article covering iCloud security and privacy that you might find useful.

I have used iCloud since it launched (and .Mac and MobileMe its predecessors) and not had a problem with security. The main risk is probably your user ID and Password being compromised, so make sure you have secure unique password.

Thegolem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
England
Apple have a support Article covering iCloud security and privacy that you might find useful.

I have used iCloud since it launched (and .Mac and MobileMe its predecessors) and not had a problem with security. The main risk is probably your user ID and Password being compromised, so make sure you have secure unique password.

I'm not bothered about security. I just don't want to lose pages & numbers docs

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I'm not bothered about security. I just don't want to lose pages & numbers docs

Sorry I was responding to Mrbobb's question on security.

I have never lost any documents by storing them on iCloud or iDisk, which was a dropbox like service that existed before iCloud.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I wouldn't keep my only copy of a file in the cloud no matter how good the service is. What if you accidentally deleted the file? What if you made a change to it by accident?

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA

Being an investor in the Data storage industry - with a current long position in Fusion-IO (they do solid-state server storage, and much better than anyone else in the industry. Led by Steve WOZNIAK, they have a unique position, and with Apple and Facebook being their biggest customers --- have real growth ahead of them.)

Anyway - Apple has 3-4 simultaneous backups of your data, spread in 3-4 different physical data centers. I feel safer using iCloud than any other cloud service, even Google's. And I'm not saying that as an investor/fanboy, only an educated consumer. Also, all your data is kept on your local device(S) using Pages/Numbers/Keynote/Notes/Reminders/Photo Stream, so you'd have to loose all your devices, and Apple would have to have simultaneous catastrophic failure at all of their data centers. I think at that point we should be more worried about the impending end of the world --- those data centers are a rock, and aren't going anywhere soon.

Thegolem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
England
Also, all your data is kept on your local device(S) using Pages/Numbers/Keynote/Notes/Reminders/Photo Stream, so you'd have to loose all your devices, and Apple would have to have simultaneous catastrophic failure at all of their data centers. I think at that point we should be more worried about the impending end of the world --- those data centers are a rock, and aren't going anywhere soon.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.