how SCRATCHED is your iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by macOSX-tastic, Feb 18, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

hi all,

just thought it might be interesting to see the condition of all yo' iPods out there. are you freakishly cautious about your iPods mirror finish? or are you comfortable just throwing it in a bag?

post your pics! and dont forget to say how long you have had it!

(i would post, but i dont have any picture taking facilities at this time)

2. macrumors 65816

runninmac

I have an iPod mini there are quite a few scratch on the back because ever since there was a indent on the side this summer i was like "screw this" and now i like it a whole lot more but also I am now having problems with small small (like the size of a pen tip/niddel tip) indents in it (ps i got it once they started shiping last year im almost at the 1 year "aniversery" for it arriving :D )... But as for the real iPod my friend got one for christmas and he got it scratched up really bad on the front and the back but thats cuz he doesnt take care of his stuff.

Hope i didnt go on to long...

3. macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

my first iPod, was pretty much covered in scratches... then when that one broke, I got it replaced and took better care of it, but still couldnt keep some scratches away, it did get a few scuff marks on the back from the Apple iPod Case... now that one just recently broke, and luckly I was still in my warrenty, got it replaced and now it looks brand new, lol

4. macrumors 68020

My 3G iPod looks like it was dropped many times... maybe thats because my "friends" from camp TOOK IT WHILE I WAS SHOWERING AND THREW IT AT THE FANS AND THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY!!! It was covered in scratches but I managed to get SOME to fade... they stopped the next day when they saw their wallets caught in the fans and their money would never be returned lol - the fans ate it

5. macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

4th generation that belongs to a college student

I've had my 20 gig 4th gen for almost 8 months and i bought it used off of ebay, and it came in bad condition as it is... but it looks like its been to war. I'm a college student so i really don't have the time or enthusiasm to really care what it looks like... i didn't buy it to look at it, i bought it to listen to it to and from class... and that part of it is superb. you can take a look...
    http://homepage.mac.com/h0e0h/PhotoAlbum8.html

it is pic "duals and iPod"

you can't really tell how beat up it is, I mean, its not too bad... you can't tell in pics, but in person the back is really scratched and so is the front... but who cares

6. macrumors 6502

My iPod is a little over a year old and its in perfect mint condition. I keep it in a plastic wrap made for such a purpose all the time and it dons a 'contour design showcase' case when it leaves the house. The case is a little banged up, but not a scratch on the ipod body or chrome. Not even a fingerprint.

7. macrumors 6502

Im really surprised no company has made replacement covers for them. i can see why people might not want to get one(screw up thier warranty). But for someone who has a 3G and it's all messed up, why not spend twenty bucks on a new chrome cover...

but yeah, mine has three scratches and that's about it. I've only had mine for a month or so..

8. macrumors 6502

I got an iPod in December, and the back is all scratched up. I just throw it my bag or drawer. Doesn't bother me.

9. macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Mine is actually scratchless. It came out of the box, was dusted, and went directly into an iSkin eVo2, which had been blown clean with a can of compressed air.

:)

10. Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Hmmm...This thread forces me to confront my own peculiar behaviour. :p Usually I do really care how my things look, and take good care of everything. But the iPod is for throwing into a pocket or bag, so I don't care in this case. But despite that, I DO have an iSkin on it! And to make matters worse, the iSKin turns out to be a real dust collector - I have to take a big piece of tape to it about once a week to get rid of all the fuzz!

So the conclusion is that while I don't really care how the iPod looks, I put an iSkin on it and end up cleaning the iSkin!! :eek:

11. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I take mine for runs and it gets totally HACKED. In the four months I've had my 4G, it's been dropped on the ground as a result of a car accident twice - my bad, I'm a little careless when I run. I never get hit hard, but my iPod always goes for a little tumble which can't be good for it. I'd get a case, but they're so damn ugly! :eek:

12. macrumors 604

Lacero

I had an iSkin, but never used it again after it scratched my iPod. Now, the scratches don't bother me and I'm not so worried about getting it banged up. It's such a relief.

[​IMG]

13. macrumors member

Mine is like badly scratched, i was on a school trip once and i fell asleep istening to my iPod and when i woked up i found it on the floor at the back of the bus, i have no idea how it got there... :(

14. macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

Ditto, except for the can of compressed air. Zero scratches, although I do like to admire the form of my iPod and it is kinda ugly with the skin on I'd rather have something that cushions it and avoids scratches. I've seen the rivets on jeans cause a horifying scratch, it was right in the middle of the screen. I don't really care about the back, its the screen that I would be annoyed about if I got a massive scratch on.

15. macrumors member

theonenonlyjoey

i use brasso on the front of my 3G (over a year old) and have little to absolutely no scratches on the front and i use no case at all . i dont even bother to polish the back because i know the scratches will jus keep coming.

16. macrumors 6502

joey4127

I have a Dell DJ :p No scratches, i dropped it from about 5 feet onto cement and it made no damage that i can see. :eek:

17. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ahem... Do I sense a feeling of pride in having a Dell? :eek: Nah seriously, the iPod casing is a bit of a flaw in the design cos it scratches so easily. Good for you for being different. :)

18. macrumors 68030

munkle

I bought an iSkin for my 3G iPod and whilst it worked well, I never really liked the 'feel', I much preferred holding my iPod naked! :eek: :p Consequently I use my iPod the way it came, it's got a few scratches on the back but nothing major...it all adds to the personality.

19. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Mine's lived its life in an evo2, which, as others have mentioned, does tend to cause some scratches, both from the case itself (in particular, the display cover's corners) and from dirt that get into the holes used to allow heat to escape (but far fewer scratches than carrying the iPod around "naked").

However, the display itself is pristine, and that's what matters to me. I don't much care if there's some sign of use on the case, but I do not want anything to happen to the display.

All of which is odd, really, as I've got the headphone remote and tend not to look at the iPod itself much at all.

20. macrumors 68000

5300cs

I've got a 1gen 5gig model. From out of the package it went straight into a rubber cover. Not 1 scratch on it.
    My 4gen 20gig did the same thing, not 1 scratch on it, either.
    I just got an iPod Shuffle 3 weeks ago, obviously no cover for it. Everyone who sees it though has to touch it and rub it; it's really annoying :mad:

I never take my iPods out of their rubber covers unless to polish them a little. I don't want even 1 scratch on either one, regardless of if I decide to ever sell them or not.

21. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

What do you use? Just a cloth, or have you found a better solution? And, yes, I know this has been the subject of many threads - I'm just curious if any new or improved options have arisen in the past couple of months.

22. macrumors 68000

5300cs

I just go "huuuuuuuuuuuh" and rub it lightly with a cotton t-shirt ;)

No problems so far :cool:

(I do it with my camera lenses too, and I've been okay so far.)

23. macrumors 68000

5300cs

Long story short: I barfed on my old 1gen model :rolleyes: while I was still in my drunken stuppor, my wife used wet paper towels to wipe it down and it was still okay (thankfully I didn't cover the thing...)

24. macrumors 68030

munkle

That's where you're going wrong...it's common knowledge that the "huuuhuuuhuuuh" method is far more effective ;) :p

25. macrumors 6502

Same as me, I got a 15gb 3g iPod as soon as they came out in April of 2003 but there were no cases available for a couple of months but still managed to keep it scratch free, and now its in its exo3 case all the time.

I also just got a shuffle and everyone holds it/touches it etc.. and there are no alternative cases to Apple's ones but I think i've got over it now and don't mind it getting messed up especially as it cost relatively little.