How secure is Keychain?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by moot, May 9, 2005.

1. moot macrumors regular

Just wondering how secure Keychain actually is.

I have created a new keychain, which won't unlock at login. I want to keep all my really important passwords in there. But how secure is it? I rarely have it unlocked, only when I need to see something (I create notes in it to keep information)

Is this a bad password storage option? Can it be hacked and the contents read?

2. moot thread starter macrumors regular

Does nobody know? Now I'm getting worried about storing all my passwords on it :confused:

3. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I am convinced it is reasonably secure. But if you're truly concerned, asking on a forum probably isn't the best way to figure it out since people can (and do) sometimes pull answers out of their er, out of thin air. Do some digging and find out what sort of cryptography it's using, etc.

I'm also sure if someone has physical access to my laptop and enough time, they can get into my keychain.

You might want to look at NSA's Security Configuration Guide for OS X for more information regarding security on OS X, including some discusssion about the keychain.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I looked when you first asked and couldn't find anything that concretely said it was 128-bit encrypted or anything.

5. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

considering how good the security features of OSX are, i wouldnt be too worried about it. i dont think apple would put something in tiger that wasnt TOO secure

cough cough :dashboard: cough cough ;)