How should I clean my Powermac G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cashmoney, Jan 24, 2006.

1. cashmoney macrumors member

Jun 3, 2005
    O.k, The inside of my powermac G5 2.5 is really really dusty. Is it safe to use those clothes that absorb dust? Should I use some kind of cleaner instead? Anyone have any suggestions? I'm not sure if a vacuum cleaner would work out too well, even with the "mini brush" adapter. thanks!:)
  2. Timepass macrumors 65816

Jan 4, 2005
    I just go with a can of compress air and blast the stuff out of there. Always works really well for me
  3. spencecb macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2003

DO NOT USE CLEANER! That would be very bad for the parts inside of you Mac. I would use the compressed air like the poster about me stated, or just a cloth to sort of wipe out the dust.
  4. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    Those little brushes that "traps dusts" is not good? Are those things made of static? I use Pledge + cloth. :) I definately need that can of air though.... or better use for me is my gallon air compressor...that'll blow the dust outta the whole machine with one blow!
  5. savar macrumors 68000

Jun 6, 2003
    District of Columbia
    If you mean one of those swiffer things, thats fine. Just don't use any liquids inside there. The best idea would be to take it outside, open it up, and hit it with a can of compressed air. (Just keep the can upright or you'll get fluid coming out.)
  6. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    That's true... I do put it outside... but man.. it's so damn've used a swifer duster on the electronics? I'm afraid to... cuz one static..and there it all goes!
  7. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2005
    Those Dust Buster compressed air cans are pitiful. Take it down to the gas station air compressor and blast the living crap out of it. Dust problem solved.
  8. tidymeup macrumors newbie

Jan 25, 2006
    Macclesfield, Cheshire
    Be careful if your using a compressor because of the high pressure if you got to close to some components it could surly remove them from the board.
  9. stevep macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2004
    Sorry - I've seen this written before and its just not true. The force needed to break off a component such as a capacitor with just two soldered legs would be a direct pull of a few kilograms. Convert that to bars (or psi for the neanderthals) and work out the surface area of the component and it would be quite something. An air hose from, say, a 1.5kW (2hp) compressor would struggle to give anything more than 6 - 7 bars (around 100 psi), which would have absolutely no effect in removing a component from a circuit board. It would blow the dust off though.
    As always, common sense is best used in large quantities.