How should I configure my new 20"Imac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macfevorite, Sep 14, 2006.

1. macfevorite macrumors member

Sep 14, 2006
    I've decided to make the switch!Presently have a Sony FX3110 Vaio laptop .Spoke to an apple rep and was advised to just buy the 20", 2.16 as configured. All I'm doing is writing that classic novel and surfing the web and delving into the creative side of the OS system. Who know about the other creative posssiblities as I explore Ilife. Other software added is Ilisten (due to wrist pain). Also purchasing the Ipod Nano 4gb.. I just want to be sure I won't need extra RAM or memory. Any advice? :eek:
  2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    That computer will be *plenty* for you. If it feels sluggish for you you can always purchase more RAM and install it yourself afterwards (it's really easy). 1 gig of RAM is a good start and more than that never hurt anybody... :)
  3. jessep28 macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2006
    Omaha, NE
    1) I would just spring for 2 GB. It's not that much more and the price is suprisingly reasonable. Right now 1GB is fine for what you do, but as programs become more memory intensive, that extra GB will put you ahead of the game.

Plus you might find yourself playing around with the editing software onboard which will take up more memory. I feel I may start diving into webpage design...haha.

I am too in the IBM/Mac convert stage and still mulling over my purchase. I will be a little more advanced than you in that I will need 2 operating systems to comform with work requirements when I graduate college (accountant).

Plus, its not uncommon for me to have Word, The Internet, a DVD and email going all at the same time, so RAM is my friend :) .
  4. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    Nice thing about a well equipped iMac is that you can write your novel, turn it into
    a screen play, draw up your story board, film your story, edit your story and compose the music score.

For your immediate needs, a stock 20" Core Duo 2 would be fine, but I would
    upgrade to the faster processor, more RAM and the 256MB GPU if you can.
  5. macfevorite thread starter macrumors member

Sep 14, 2006
    I like the way you think!

Yessireee. Reach for the stars and who knows where I'll land. I see Oprah in my future....:rolleyes: