How should I configure the RAM on my iMac G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dferigmu, Nov 26, 2004.

1. dferigmu macrumors 6502

I want to buy an iMac but probably not BTO, because if there's a problem with it, I want to be able to return it.

I want to have at least 512 MB of RAM. My questions are: Should I just buy a 512 and then have 768 MB total? How much faster is the RAM if I buy two of the same 512's? And where's the best place to buy iMac G5 RAM?

2. MisterGreen macrumors newbie

I think I'd ask them to put in a single 512... then you could add another yerself down the road for a total of 1 gig...

3. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I did mine 512/512 BTO, and it turned out with the price about comparable to 3rd party RAM. Plus then it's all under one warranty

4. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

But what if there's a problem and I would rather return it and get a new one that have to get it fixed, if Apple will fix it at all (like dead pixels)?

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

How should I configure the RAM on my iMac G5?

I would go with the stock Apple 256 Mb and add a 1 Gb third party DIMM. You can add another 1 Gb later if you need it for the max. total of 2 Gb. 1 Gb seems to be about where the Mac performs best for most users.

128-bit vs 64-bit access: There is a theoretical advantage to going with 128-bit access on the RAM by using a matched pair of RAM.
    However, Barefeats http://www.barefeats.com/imacg5d.html reports a 29% improvement on synthetic memory benchmarks, yet an average 0% improvement in real-life testing 128-bit vs. 64-bit.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If you return it opened, there's a 10% penalty. So BTO's not a bad deal unless you plan to return a stock model unopened.

7. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Forgetting something?

Apple, like every other retailer out there, is obligated to sell you a working product for your hard earned dollars. It make no difference whether it's BTO or a stock item, it has to be in working condition.

Yes, I know that some states have better consumer protection than others, but if Apple sell you a defective product, they are obligated to either repair it or replace it.

Depending on the state that you live in, if you can't get it repaired or replaced within a certain time frame to your satisfaction (or number of attempted repairs) Apple is obligated to give you a full refund.

How many times do we have to rehash this issue where people still think that it's okay for retailers to sell defective products and the customer has no choice but to live with it???

In order to make sure that you are 100% covered regardless of your state's consumer protection laws, pay by credit card. If the product is defective you can always refuse to pay the bill and write a nice letter to the CC explaining why. They will contact the retalier and try and get the issue sorted out for you.

Note that the above is a last resort only after you have already tried to get it repaired through the usual channels.

8. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Exactly; BTO is not an issue is there is a problem with your Mac. Apple will fix any Mac under warranty.

It's only a problem if you want to return a working Mac within 10 days because you no longer want it.

9. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

CC?

10. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

credit card.
    most credit card companies offer protection against DOA or broken items you purchase on the card.

11. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Nice! Thanks for the advice.

12. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

this has nothing to do with the post
    If apple releases a PDA, I will post a pic of my vegetarian self eating a big juicy steak.

but thats is hilarious