How should I show off a G5?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by lera, Sep 18, 2003.

1. lera macrumors member

Hey all,
    I'm a sales rep in a computer store in Canada. I'm going to be one of three people in the store showing it off to both small and large groups of people. I'll also be training the rest of the staff on "Macintosh Stuff."

Ultimately I want to know the ways that you suggest I show the G5 off. And I'd be happy to do any tests to the machine that you want to hear the results of.

The machine I have now is a single processor machine.

All suggestions welcome, Please!

thanks,
    lera

2. lera thread starter macrumors member

Hey moderator... did i put this in the right forum?

lera

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i would say just run some pro apps, and keep the side alu cover off to see the beautiful inside. apple machines sell themselves, especially to people who already own macs.

4. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

one fun thing to do is to set it up with a massive monitor, namely the 23 inch HD display, 2 if you have a DVI-ADC adaptor, and play 6-12 different MPEG videos at once. i always found it very entertaining when they did this with the G4s at Fry's in Austin. good to have a CPU monitor up when you have them running.

other than that, it'd probably be pretty impressive to show some FCP stuff... talk to a pro in that about such things, though :)

5. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

show them everything. If you can, grab a rotating platform, motorized or not, it doesnt matter. That way you dont have to pick up that monster every time you want to show something.

I agree to keep the side window off. Also, try and get as much light on it as possible. Hook it up to the best apple lcd you have available (hopefully a 23 inch HD) and have a little amount of cords as humanly possible.

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

come on. not one. 2 23 inch monitors, all the way! but yeah, be sure and get the wireless keyboard/mouse.

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

hire nadia...he he

actually, having the side panel of the G5 off is good because for some reason, i don't like the outside of the machine too much...very big and too plain, not shiny, not that curvy...the inside with its cool design will draw attention away from the outside of the tower

and the idea of some rotating platform is good...not on a motor, but more of a lazy susan manual getup

and half the selling point will be the aqua of os x, so the largest display possible will really help

8. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Oh No....not Nadia again! <LOL!> I must say that was pretty funny.

I would say bring in some talent from your local cabaret joint, like they do at the Car shows. :D

~e

9. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

10. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

11. Mac til death macrumors regular

12. MacMaelstrom macrumors member

Hmm. The apple galleria store has a motorized platform that's suspeded in midair by four very thin pieces of cable and it spins around... verrry cool!

Also, I just thougth this was funny
    I saw a 1.8 GHz at compusa and there was a security device plugged into the front USB, back usb, both the USB on the cenima display, the USB on one side of the keyboard, the phone jack, and there was a kensington lock attatching it to the desk.. jesus.

13. acj macrumors 6502

That's been selling computers for a long time. Most people don't realize it's not that impressive, or that a Pentium 90 can do it.

14. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

a Pentium 90 can decode 12 640x480 high quality mpeg streams at the same time? you'll have to quote a stat on that; i'd be surprised if it could responsively drive 2 monitors at high definition resolution.

15. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Well heres proof that even old iMacs can do that trick.
    If you can name the ad for each computer in the QT movies you get brownie points:)

16. Chilton macrumors newbie

P90s, etc

The BeOS was a breakthrough in consumer operating systems due to its ability to run concurrent tasks across processors with no drop in performance. On that operating system, on a dual proc 603e (I think), I could decode 4 320x240 Quicktimes at one time. Granted, you couldn't hear sound from them when you did it, and it did max out the processors, but you *could* do it. With that in mind, there's no way in FIERY HELL that a P90 could decode 12, 640x480, high-res movies. But maybe that wasn't what was intended by that post.

As for what to show off, it depends on what you're trying to show off, and to whom. If it's a live demo, load it up with common apps, like the Microsoft Office X test drive, Safari, iPhoto, iCal, iEVERYTHING ELSE, and some games like the Unreal Tournament demo. Do as much at one time as possible, and make frequent use of drag and drop.

If it's a standalone demo, I'd say get some graphics-intense screensaver and put it on there, or get a Mathematica demo and some hulkin' math formula.

I just wish it shipped with the Graphing Calculator. That was the most impressive demo tool I can remember.

-Chilton

17. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

How should you show off your G5? Just have a Hooter's girl stand next to it.

18. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Hmm....I think that might just detract attention from the G5 itself....:D

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

it's funny since a lot of my friends and colleagues would not notice if a naked supermodel was next to a G5...being techies and engineers, they would be enthralled with the computer

:p

but then again, i know some female techies who would be very interested in the naked supermodel;)

20. vniow macrumors G4

yum

Mm-hmm.

21. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Dual words......

2 monitors.

(that was a poor attempt at a joke :rolleyes: ;))

Dual monitors amaze non-tech people. My mom was just about ready to buy a new G4 system when we went to a computer store in Houston that had dual monitors.

scem0

22. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

sorry, I made my comment before even looking to see that the G5 has ADC and DVI standard. Yes, do dual monitor using a DVI-ADC converter. Youll be happy you did :)