How should Safari fill 17" monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MrVegas, Jun 16, 2005.

1. MrVegas macrumors regular

I am using a regular 17" flat screen CTX monitor (not the cinematic aspect ratio) with my Powermac G5. I am using a screen resolution of 1024x768. When I launch Safari it only fills up about half of the width of the screen. I can drag it to widen it, but it just doesn't seem right. Am I missing something here ... some setting that's wrong?

Thanks

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Are you a switcher? I know that IE typically opens and fills the screen, this is not the case on a Mac. That being said, you should be able to drag the window to the size you want, quit Safari, and then when you open it up, it should be at the size you dragged it to.. if that's not happening (and it sounds like it), then there might be something wrong.

3. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Note though, that general Mac behavior is for windows not to cover the entire screen, because it's useful to have access to multiple windows and/or the desktop (for drag & drop especially). Of course, the end choice is always yours. :D

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

1024x768 on a 17 inch monitor. Doesn't that annoy the pants off you?

If it does, photos are not required. ;)

5. MrVegas thread starter macrumors regular

yes, i did come over from windoze.

as far as it being annoying, do you mean too damm big?
    yeah, kinda, but I'm old.

I'm not sure how long I can hold out for an Apple Cinema display, because the screen always looks basically fuzzy, no matter what resolution I use.

6. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

On a 17in CRT, resolutions higher than 1024x768 should look less fuzzy. Not sure what the native resolution is, though.

7. iPollo macrumors newbie

Yeah, for a LCD display to not look fuzzy you should use it in it's native resolution. For that display size I would say it's 1280X1024. It looks fuzzy because it's interpolating, that means that 1 pixel only corresponds to 1 pixel in native resolution... it will only not look fuzzy in a resolution that is a multiple of the native: 1280/2 and 1024/2, that would be 640X512 (which I don't know if it even exists :D ).

8. MrVegas thread starter macrumors regular

9. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I had the same fuzzy problem. Change your resolution to the native one, usually 1280x1024 60Hz Millions (or 75hz, but that makes micro horizontal lines on my screen) and everything should be nice and crisp! Worked for me and now I love being able to use iChat on one side while browsing in safari on the other side!