How slow is Rosetta?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by chuckee, Jul 11, 2006.

1. chuckee macrumors newbie

Hey... I'm sure most of you know that I'm looking into buying a macbook pro (made numerous posts/threads about it :p) and am wondering how much of an affect Rosetta has on the mbp (speed-wise).

I know Rosetta is the emulation software that runs non-universal binary applications, but does it actually hinder performance that much?

Is there a way to avoid this slowdown by adding more RAM?

Thanks.

2. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

It really depends on what application.

We could be talking about Word or Photoshop. ;)

And yes, RAM is a great thing to add to InteliMacs. :)

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

From what I have heard it can cut your performance by as much as half. It can be better then that. However Rosetta take lots of RAM. So if your short on RAM it will be even worse. But it all depends on what app you want to run in Rosetta.

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

5. chuckee thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about running apps like Photoshop and other graphic intensive software, but I also want to run apps like MS Office:Mac too. Is it too hard for the intel macs to run two Rosetta apps at once?

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

You can get 2 gigs of RAM from OWC for about US$215. I'm getting this for me birthday. :D

As an alternative, you can download a universal binary Gimpshop. :) It's open source, so they're constantly striving for it to be as good as Photoshop.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I think that Rosetta does a great job. More RAM definitely helps, but for say
    M$ Office, it runs at about the same speed as it does on a PowerPC based Mac. :)

8. chuckee thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm looking into buying Corsair Valueselect RAM.... 1GB stick is 80$ (a LOT better than the 300$ upgrade through apple :p )

9. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

It seems to take longer booting, but after that its more or less the same speed.

10. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

I have not noticed a huge difference in the opening of the Apps or how well they run under Rosetta, however what I did notice is that Photoshop runs pretty well under rosetta and it is my feeling that it runs better then Office, I mean they both run well its just well is MS office encoded that badly or something...?

11. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

If it is word processing you are talking about, download NeoOffice. it is free and has an intel compatible version. It is also compatible with Microsoft Word Documents.

12. arcobb macrumors regular

Duh! :rolleyes: