How soon will G5's price drop after MacWorld?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by robjohn, Dec 22, 2003.

1. robjohn macrumors newbie

The subject header says it all. I was thinking of buying a dual 1.8 G5 Power Mac in the next couple of weeks, but was wondering if anyone had any guesstimate based on past history about how fast I can expect it's price to drop after Steve Jobs presumably announces faster G5's at MacWorld in early Jan. In other words, even if he announces faster G5's at this time, how soon after this do retailers typically start lowering prices on the previous top-of-the-line? And what might the dual 1.8 G5 end up costing at this point?
    Thanks for any speculation!
    - robjohn

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: How soon will G5's price drop after MacWorld?

its usually right then becuase they have to get rid of old inventory.

iJon

3. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

Usually it's right then because all the stores want to move out the old inventory.

Just order a Maczone or Macmall or MacConnection catalog and they will always have sales like that in them when they have over stock. Apple probably will even sell over-stock on their own website like they did with the 1.33 duals.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

there has never been a dual 1.33

iJon

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i think the last incarnation was 1 ghz G4, followed by 1.25, and finally with 1.42 on their towers but i am not sure if all had duals in them

the next towers that came after that were the G5s

the 1.33 ghz speed is currently the fastest speed of the 17" inch powerbook and that is a single processor

www.apple-history.com should have some info on that and if it's not there yet, it will eventually be there and they are a good and accurate resource for the evolution of apple computers