How soon will Halo 2 be released for Mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by johnbro23, Jun 15, 2004.

1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

I have an xbox, but I don't really play it enough to get my 50 bucks out of Halo 2. I would definitely play it a lot more if I got it for my Mac. So, how long do I have to wait 'til it comes out on Mac? I know it won't be for a while, since the xbox version isn't even out yet, but I just want to judge about how long we have to wait for a Mac version to come out before I make my decision.

2. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

Well, I'd say roughly a year-year and a half...

3. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Did they even announce that it would be ported to PC's?

4. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats good enough for me. I think I'll just wait it out for the Mac version.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i dont really understand. its going to be 50 dollars for xbox and most likely computer if you get it. it will probably be a year and half i would guess for a computer release. just get it this november, you already have the xbox.

iJon

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Considering how few people have bought Halo for Mac, does anyone really believe that Halo 2 will be ported?

7. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Halo 2? They haven't even finished Halo 1 for the Mac. :p

8. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

I'm going to have to agree. I mean it did take them almost 2 years (maybe my math is wrong....) to port the first one to the mac. I say get an xbox bundled with halo to whet your appetite (it's now $149) and put your pre-order in for Halo2.

Get the special edition one too. Comes with 2 DVDs on the making of the first and the second. (well, you don't have to, but as you can tell, I'm a bit fanatical...)

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

he already has an xbox, which makes him waiting for mac even more pointless. he can shell out 50 dollars in november and have it play better than a computer most likely, or what 2 years to have a buggy crappy version.

iJon

10. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Oh man... I'm sorry about that. For some reason, I thought he was without. And again, I agree with you. 50 bucks to play it in November on the machine it was built for is much better than waiting.

11. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

wtf.....have you been living under a rock??? go back to russia...lol :D :p

12. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess you're right... but the thing is is that I don't really care when I get it, its not like I'm counting down the days 'til its released. Plus, I use my Mac way more than xbox anyways, xbox was just something my little brother wanted. He's not going to get Halo 2 simply because of the M rating, even though he got Halo 1 without my parents knowing about it.

I just thought I'd get more use out of it on my computer than the xbox. But since you say that the Mac version will have glitches, I dont know about that. And 2 years seems like a rediculously long time to wait, even though I wouldnt really be missing it.

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

the thing is, all well done console games can usually out perform a pc, even if the pc is more powerful. its just xbox 2 will be designed to fun perfectly on an xbox, while pc version will have to be designed for so many things, and then porting to mac will make it that much worse, see where im going. if you dont care when it comes out then care how well it will play, buy in november.

iJon

14. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

This is completely off topic, but welcome back from Europe iJon. Hope you had fun. Back on topic, I would be surprised if it is ported to Mac. I know that I read that as many people were downloading it for Mac as buying it, which is not a good sign for future releases I would think. But that is just my 2 cents, as I honestly have not played it :D

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i played it on a 20" imac for the hell of it but it still looked like ass. i downloaded an early beta for my pc long ago but never got around to playign it. thanks for the welcome back, it was an incredible trip, now i just have to wait till christmas where ill be off to thailand for 2 weeks.

iJon

16. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

well you definately are getting around :D

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah after summer 2005 ill be close to 20 countries i think.

iJon

18. osprey76 macrumors 6502

I bet it will take close to a year to get it out for Mac and PC. I hope the stealing that was rampant with Halo 1 doesn't preclude MacPlay from publishing it on Mac. Also, I hope since Bungie and the porting partners have been through one iteration of the whole process that they can make the code base a bit more portable to the computer side of things. I guess it depends if they are adding to the engine much (as they did in all of their second release games; Marathon, Myth) or just adding content for the second story.

Parts of Halo were a bit monotonous, but I enjoyed playing it on my Mac. Even with much of the game played through on a 450!

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm only up to 6 countries :(

Rarotonga, Fiji, Australia, USA, Mexico, Indonesia (in that order).

Getting back on topic, we should all let MacSoft/Bungie know that we don't want to wait years for Halo 2. Maybe a petition would help? I'll just shamelessly promote my Half-Life 2 petition again :rolleyes:

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, I couldn't help myself from writing a draft petition. Your thoughts please :)

21. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

No, I bought Halo for the Mac... They did such a horrible job porting it that I don't consider it finished. :p

22. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

indeed my brother... :D

23. AkiraK macrumors member

I don't know that it's MacSoft/Bungie's call to make. The Halo franchise is considered the killer app for the XBox, and Microsoft is sure to have some pretty ironclad exclusivity agreements in place to protect the crown jewel in its lineup. The first Halo has been credited with single-handedly making the XBox a competitive console, and Halo 2 is already predicted to be responsible for at least a 30% spike in system sales--I don't see it hitting the PC for at least a year (post Xbox release), with the Mac version a year and a half off at best.

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I heard it was so bad that I didn't even bother looking for a demo.

25. enclave macrumors member

Sigh... you people DO know that the Halo 2 engine is a COMPLETE rewrite, no code was used from the first game......

right.. right....?