Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KTF

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
New York City
What now? Without Steve mentoring the Google founders, Google would not be where it is. Also, without stealing ideas, by a Google exec, while serving on Apples board of directors... we would not be having this conversation.
specially the Hypocrite Eric Schmidh!

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
I think what a lot of people don't realize is that business valuation is a relatively simple exercise, but before Jobs and Nguyen ever sat down at that table the calculations had already been worked out and a fair value reached in such a manner that Jobs wasn't just throwing out some kind of absurd number that Nguyen might balk at or that might spark a lot of back and forth.

Warren Buffett is much the same way, and both of them had the luxury of also knowing most of these managers they'd deal with so the fuzzy part of the equation (evaluating the management team for its soundness) was also already done by the time they sat down.

The rest, goodwill as an accounting term, is simply predicated upon how much more lala's technology is worth in Apple's hands than it is in Nguyen's, because there are other strengths Apple has that can be leveraged to do things with Lala that it couldn't really capitalize upon by itself.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
The reason this country is in a financial mess is because people are "consumers". They spend money senselessly.....:D

The 'scourge' of credit card debt; we're digging ourselves a hole, we can't get out of.

I believe Steve did have a sit down with President Obama. Two things they talked about were a tax holiday for business, and public education. I think Steve was not happy with the taxes for foreign income, and Steve was not happy with the cost of public school education vs the quality of education coming out.

If Steve were alive, he'd be invited to sit with Obama to figure a way out of the Finacial mess this country is in..... He maybe couldn't fix it right away, but there would be some unique ideas thrown out there, I'd bet !:)

He did have that first dinner meeting in Feb 2011, http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Electi...Obama-You-re-headed-for-a-one-term-presidency when he also told Obama that he was headed for a one-term presidency, so that hypothetical second meeting might have been somewhat uncomfortable.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I think what a lot of people don't realize is that business valuation is a relatively simple exercise, but before Jobs and Nguyen ever sat down at that table the calculations had already been worked out and a fair value reached in such a manner that Jobs wasn't just throwing out some kind of absurd number that Nguyen might balk at or that might spark a lot of back and forth.

Warren Buffett is much the same way, and both of them had the luxury of also knowing most of these managers they'd deal with so the fuzzy part of the equation (evaluating the management team for its soundness) was also already done by the time they sat down.

The rest, goodwill as an accounting term, is simply predicated upon how much more lala's technology is worth in Apple's hands than it is in Nguyen's, because there are other strengths Apple has that can be leveraged to do things with Lala that it couldn't really capitalize upon by itself.

Also, since Jobs didn't own Apple, Jobs could not buy any company of that size.

Only the board of directors has that authority - and it's almost certain that the board set the offer price.

----------

he did have that first dinner meeting in feb 2011, http://www.csmonitor.com/usa/electi...obama-you-re-headed-for-a-one-term-presidency when he also told obama that he was headed for a one-term presidency, so that hypothetical second meeting might have been somewhat uncomfortable.

lol !!

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
If Steve were alive, he'd be invited to sit with Obama to figure a way out of the Finacial mess this country is in..... He maybe couldn't fix it right away, but there would be some unique ideas thrown out there, I'd bet !:)

Well, Mr.Jobs would recommend doing the same things he did to revitalize Apple when it was near bankruptcy. Get the bloat out. Streamline everything and make it lean and mean. Of course Obama would have none of that, they would just have to agree to disagree. ;) The only part of the Government that works pretty well is the IRS. Show me the money!!! They are a well oiled machine when it comes to picking your pocket.

Last edited:

chocolaterabbit

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
and as usual, started by an Apple disliker

The funny thing about this Google vs Apple troll war is that it was started in the very first post, by someone using the same old "Apple should buy Google" troll. That's what lead to this whole thread derailing.

So no, credit where credit is due. This whole war wasn't started by Apple haters.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Well, Mr.Jobs would recommend doing the same things he did to revitalize Apple when it was near bankruptcy. Get the bloat out. Streamline everything and make it lean and mean. Of course Obama would have none of that, they would just have to agree to disagree. ;) The only part of the Government that works pretty well is the IRS. Show me the money!!! They are a well oiled machine when it comes to picking your pocket.

That's exactly why government isn't run as a business. The government equivalent to "get the bloat out" is "kill off all the poor people who haven't had the fortune to get a job". Thankfully, society doesn't work that way.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Lala's biggest strength was that it was at or near the top for many Google searches of particular songs, thanks to a search placement deal with Google.

I thought Google regarded the search results as too important or valuable to be interfered with. When did this change? Or this is a search placement in the clearly identified sponsored listings? I am quite confused and concerned.

Does anyone know where one can read up on Google's policies on this?

Jaredly

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
havent read all the linked articles because frankly the story that is posted here is as uninteresting as they come.

regarding lala and color what has apple actually gained from these two?

I believe that they acquired lala to get their song matching capabilities that apple currently uses for itunes match. This was just a rumor and nobody has anyway of proving it but it does make logical sense.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Nope, not really. If you know how acquisitions work, then this article really makes sense. It highlights the power and authority of Steve Jobs. And for the bonus, his style. :)

I give the number on that paper most of the credit having read this article. From my readings about Steve, he is not my ideal aquisition negotiator, unless the deal is done like this, in a heated negotiation scenario I could see an old fashion Steve tantrum ;) this show case shows the power and authority of $$$$$$.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Seriously... where do you get your facts? Have you even looked at the financial statements? Who is your source for this information?

Apple has more revenue in a quarter than Google has in a year at times. However, they are not yet reporting Motorola Revenues so the numbers are skewed.

Prior to the Moto acquisition though, this is a stupid argument for anyone to have. It's an Apples to Oranges comparison.

These two companies have little in common other than mobile software, and where Apple has attempted to mimic some Google offerings they've failed miserably. At it's heart, Apple is a hardware company and Google is an internet services company.

A company does generate more revenue when selling a physical object, something Google really has not done before this past year.

And most of the people commenting have not looked at any financial statements, including yourself or you could quote them. Google averages about $18 billion in rev per quarter and Apple $27. Take away Apple's hardware revenue, and Google would be the winner. Again, apple to oranges comparison.

What next, why don't we compare Wal-Mart to Best Buy since they have 1 over lapping sales category?

Serpico74

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2009
Chances are Google has more revenue & profits than Apple. They have a search engine, Android, RELIABLE Maps, etc.

Google makes more from mobile search on iOS than they do their own Android, same with mining data. Why do you think their own Maps app is superior on iOS than it is even on JB?

Apple's revenue and cash on hand are larger than Google's by over double. The iPhone by itself makes more than all of Microsoft's products combined. This isn't about gut feeling or fanboy nonsense, its just reality. Apple's income dwarf's Google's.

What's also interesting to note is that GOOG is overpriced over AAPL by about 2x, a price multiple of 22 vs one of 11. Apple is quite undervalued compared to other large cap techs like IBM, MSFT, and GOOG.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Well, Mr.Jobs would recommend doing the same things he did to revitalize Apple when it was near bankruptcy. Get the bloat out. Streamline everything and make it lean and mean.

Do you really think having a mean Federal government is a good idea? Do you think that the paths to corporate profitability and effective government are the same?

IMO, the purposes of corporations and governments are so different that running the government "like a business" would lead to disaster, just as running a business like it was a government would lead to disaster.

Corporations exist to enrich the owners, with little consideration of any other factors, unless such factors are forced to be considered by law. Governments are concerned mainly with those other factors.

Corporations exist for the enrichment of a relative few people. Governments exist for the well-being of all people.

It is, for example, rational for a government to spend money to clean up toxic waste in community water wells. It is not rational for a corporation to spend money to clean up toxic waste in community water wells, unless they are forced to do so by law.

The goals and methods of corporate governance are wholly different from the goals and methods of effective government.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Is there a source for this "search placement deal" claim? The linked article does not mention such a deal. It just says that most of the time the first link would be to LaLa, but it is not claiming Google was boosting LaLa's ranking unfairly. This is a serious accusation, I'd like to know whether there is a credible source behind it.
I agree with this. Accusing google of selling search placements is a huge accusation and could destroy googles search income.

Either Lala was effective with natural rankings , ran a highly effective ad campaign or both.

Saying google sold search placement is actually something that could cause google harm and be actionable because google makes all their money from search ads to go along with the 100% organic and free search results. Even the idea that they are selling organic search placement could seriously harm their business.

mcfmullen

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012

There is a very simple way out: congress simply needs to vote yes.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Before Apple got fat and rich they would have innovated their way out of the competition. Now they are lazy and just buy the smaller operators who are vastly more creative and innovative. They will only be able to do that for so long while their 'war chest' of wealth gets eroded- until they are forced to do something spectacular again. Apple and Steve are best when they really are foolish and hungry.....not fat and lazy.

This. The story isn't as intriguing when the acquisition is Tom-Tom and the end result is the Apple Maps fiasco.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.