Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jace88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Just wondering... for some reason I am worried about breaking/damaging the USB port or the aluminium paint finish on my MBA when I plug/unplug USB drives. Never felt this way about a computer before :)

Narkotiq

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

And what paint is it you don't want to damage?

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I love threads like this!

Strong as in comparison to what? Bubonic Plague? High-tension wires? Wrought iron? A shot of Jim Beam? Zinc plating? Pressed steel?

I await your next thread with great eagerness!

Xil3

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
London
I love threads like this!

Strong as in comparison to what? Bubonic Plague? High-tension wires? Wrought iron? A shot of Jim Beam? Zinc plating? Pressed steel?

I await your next thread with great eagerness!

Actually, a shot of Jim Beam would go down nice right now.

fswmacguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2009
So many things wrong here:

1) First off, Apple doesn't paint a silver color on it's notebooks. It's real aluminum, not cheap-ass paint used by two-bit notebook manufacturers.

2) Are you asking about the electricity each USB port outputs, or the amount of tension the physical port can take? Or are you asking about the scratch resistance of the aluminum?

3) The USB port on the right side of the MBA outputs more power than most notebooks. It is designed this way so that it can run the USB external disc drive (which requires a fair amount of electricity).

4) As long as you're not ripping devices in and out of the port at strange angles, it will not break or warp. It's normal for USB ports on desktops and notebooks to become loose over time, though, even with normal use.

5) The MBA is one of the most structurally sound notebooks on the market. More specifically, if you look closely, the ports are actually embedded behind an aluminum surround. Your USB drive will take more damage than the notebook, however USB ports are notoriously fragile, as they are made out of (mostly) plastic.

jace88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
I was referring to the physical strength of the USB ports themself from regular plugging/unplugging of USB drives/cables/etc and whether they would wear out or become damaged/weakened over time. I'm not sure why but mine feels a bit less strong on the right side when I unplug things and hence why I created the thread.

To all those who posted sarcastic responses in this thread, thanks for your lack of insight- yes I know it's relative, but for example, a simple answer of "yes they are pretty strong and will last you through daily usage" or "no they are fragile due to the location/design" would've sufficed). It appears only the above poster was able to somewhat figure out what I was asking about.

Narkotiq

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Listen man, we are just trying to establish the true meaning of your question, there's no need to get wound up about it.

I think a bit of friendly sarcasm is merited seeing as u thought the MBA was painted silver! Lol

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
It appears only the above poster was able to somewhat figure out what I was asking about.

You mean where he stated the obvious answer about USB ports that anyone who has ever owned a laptop should know? Every laptop I've taken apart mounts USB ports the same way, i.e., they are attached to the motherboard then sandwiched between the upper and lower pieces of of keyboard shell. On most laptops, the shell is plastic while on the MBA it's aluminum. What do you think will be stronger?

jace88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia

Listen man, we are just trying to establish the true meaning of your question, there's no need to get wound up about it.

I think a bit of friendly sarcasm is merited seeing as u thought the MBA was painted silver! Lol

Point taken.

You mean where he stated the obvious answer about USB ports that anyone who has ever owned a laptop should know? Every laptop I've taken apart mounts USB ports the same way, i.e., they are attached to the motherboard then sandwiched between the upper and lower pieces of of keyboard shell. On most laptops, the shell is plastic while on the MBA it's aluminum. What do you think will be stronger?

Like I said, mine felt a bit loose when I was unplugging USB cables/drives a lot and I was just wondering if this was a common experience from others or if there was any known weakness in this area.

Not everyone pulls apart laptops for a living (or even a hobby) hence why these forums exist to allow newbies to ask questions.

I appreciate that maybe this seems like such a basic/fundamental knowledge question to a lot of the regulars on here but what appears obvious to you guys may not be so obvious to others.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
They are strong, but it won't survive any hammers, rocks or water damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.