How Super Is The Superdrive?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by TyleRomeo, Apr 10, 2002.

1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

hey guys I was looking at the new Sony CD 400 Mavica digital camera. The 4 Megapixel mini cd-r & cd-rw camera that is supposed to play on any cd-rom drive. Now I heard rumors that the superdrive had problems reading sony's mini cds from the Sony Mavica CD 300. Is this true?

Anyone actually have a CD Mavica and have hands on experience to see if the mini cds work. I apriaciate any suggestions. I'm still new to this whole Mac thing.

2. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

Can the superdrive copy xbox games (for back-up purposes of course);) :D ?

3. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

That brings up an interesting point I hadn't thought of before. I heard rumors of them working on slot-loading superdrives... How will we be able to insert minidiscs or multimedia/specialty-shaped business cards? Not that I see a lot of those, but it is kinda limiting...

5. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmmmmmm, i just read that there were problems with the past Sony CD Mavicas (200 & 300) but the problem should be resolved with the new 250 and 400 Mavicas.

I still want to see a faster superdrive this summer

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I'm not sure but I think XBOX games are formatted weird
    anti theft kinda thing

7. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

when you do a copy you might get it to copy an xbox game if you did a byte for byte copy rather than a file for file copy, yes?

8. Choppaface macrumors 65816

theoretically, yes, but I've had some problems before trying to copy OS X install CDs using 9 because I guess it dumps some of the data it doesnt understand?

9. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Why would you even want to have an Xbox? it sucks. there is nothing good about xbox unless it is to give us another thing to make fun of M$ for.

get rid of it if you have one and get a PS2

10. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

Why are we getting into another video game console war? If you want to start comparing stats and stuff on those consoles start a thread.

Man alive!

I think as with any DVD Xbox game DVDs should have the anti-theft built into them.

And if you want to back-up your Xbox game . . . I thought that was illegal! Doesn't each say "do not copy"? The same should go for PS2.

And what are the chances that you burn a DVD game as a backup copy for the Xbox and still have it work on the PC?

Illegal and Impossible : 1

12. TheT macrumors 6502

To get back to the subject: NO, the little discs used in the Mavicas can not be read in MacOS X. It's not a superdirve problem, though. The disc is formatted in a format OSX can't read. There are MacOS 9 drivers, though. But you don't really need that, you can get the camera to work under OSX by connecting it via USB (it even works as an external burner then *g*) The only thing you have to change is the connection mode from 'normal' to something else, I can't remember what. But there are like to options in the camera setup, just look in the manual. Well, and then: plug it in, watch iPhoto start, and have fun!

13. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanx The T, i hope the next OSX upgrade will solve this little problem. I think Sony has done a great job with their CD mavica line but it needs to be read by any computer with a cd-rom drive. that is the point of these little disks, so you dont need annoying cables to view, copy and edit jpegs on any computer even Macs with OSX. so bring on OSX 10.1.4 or 10.2, or a faster superdrive, to take care of this little dillema.

14. swahilibill macrumors 6502

Ps2 is for flamers, it sucks. i had one, and all there was for games were stupid Japanese Anime crap. THe superdrive is okay, it is way to slow though, I want to see a faster superdrive real soon.

15. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

way to drag out an old thread that hasnt been posted in for two months. Especially since youre so eloquent.

It's for flamers, it sucks? Is that a fact? I'm glad your opinion is based on the types of games you played on it, and not based on technology, size, controller, etc.

You want a faster superdrive? well, thats a shame. I want a smarter swahilibill, but thats not happening any time soon.:rolleyes:

16. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

i heard xbox games are just generic 4.7 gb disks . Ofcourse, that is complete BS. Knowing microsoft, it probably has millions of secruity features. Probably 256 bit encryption and others. i dotn even think you could do disk copy on an xbox game without running into some problems and creating a $5 coaster.

17. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

wow, u got him bad on that one, tea.

Also, swahili, PS2 is the best. Dude, its the only one taht can play DVDs right out of the box. Plus, its made by Sony. Sony, in my opinion, is great company. It makes great products (given taht they cost an arm and a leg). I bought PS2 on they day it came out, and I've since bought gamecube and ive played xbox many times. i still prefer PS2 over all of em. I just think gameplay and game quality is better. The graphics may have the worst specs of the bunch, PS2 continues to perform beautifully.

Note: im not trying to revive the Ps2 thread. Im just making a statement.

18. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

dude had it coming. He's just a whinny little b*tch without any facts to base his opinion on. I havent actually played Gamecube, But My roomates got a PS2 and I have some friends with XBox...well, XBox is horrible. I playe dthis game (dont remember the name) and I hadnt played a game that had gameplay that bad since the origional Nintendo version of Family Feud. :rolleyes:

If you want to have fun, and have a lot of fun games....PS2 it is. Personally, I'll buy the PS3 which will be the first system I'll have bought since Sega Genesis...

19. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

I like my gamecube.

Anyway, a new superdrive is a must. I have the new iMac, and it takes forever to burn anything.

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It is very slow for burning regular CD's, but then I don't know if this is a sacrifice currently needed (in terms of the technology) for the drive to also burn DVD.
    Most of the time if I want to burn a CD I use my 24 x 10 x 32 Plextor Burn-Proof in my wintel box, writing CD's at upto 24x rocks! Just a shame I can't do it with out having to use the peecee :(

21. swahilibill macrumors 6502

Hey Teabag, relax man, your gonna pop a vessel or something. I was messin around, PS2 is cool, okay, it was just a battle of the game systems. Obviously, you worry way to much about what people think of PS2.

22. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Dude, I dont care what anyone thinks of PS2. What I do care about is when people post stupid comments such as "ps2 is for flamers" and things like that.

It's infantile, dumb, and not based on anything. If you have a problem with something at least have a non-retarded reason for it. Think of something halfway intelligent to say, and then say it.

And my name isnt teabag, its teabgs. Get it right.

23. swahilibill macrumors 6502

Hey teabg, get over it, and stop acting like such a intellectual, stuck-up person, just chill pal, I never wanted to start anything. If you dont want this to be infantile or dumb, then let it go, and get on with your life.

24. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Come on Teabgs and Swahilibill, take it easy...

25. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

ahh, let em duke it out. A little online feuding never hurt anyone. OK, well nobody cool got hurt.