How the Private Became Political

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Mar 20, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Another reminder (assuming we needed one) about who is really in charge.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-politics20mar20,1,6641318.story

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

All the christian kids that were laughed at in school are having the last laugh now as they bully their way to power at all levels of the US political body.

All the hand-wringing in the world is not going to stop them either.

3. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

sad,

this has been all over the news here in belgium this weekend.

Our euthanasia law is a good thing, although not perfect. Things like this are not possible (any more).
    It makes me sick that they are using this to profilate themselves.

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

A good chunk of the folks pulling the strings now are the ones who were dumping the nerds in trash cans 40 years ago...

This isn't revenge of the nerds, it's re-revenge of the bullies on a global scale.

5. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is one of the most cynical abuses of federal power I have ever witnessed. To make matters worse, the political opposition has hardly been heard from at all. I suppose they must think they've been outflanked on a compassion issue, when just the opposite is true. The argument against this is clear, obvious and compelling, but few seem have the guts required to make it.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

good god, how friggin' irresponsible is that?

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is absolutely disgusting: violating the wishes of a helpless person in order to score political points. How sick. :mad:

FWIW, shortly after the GOP took these actions, ABC News' poll showed the public was against the action 89%-8%. Among "evangelical voters", the percentages were almost as high. This is a very unpopular move, and I hope it comes back to bite them in the ***.

8. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I suppose we can count ourselves fortunate that Frist is practicing medicine in the Senate instead of on real, live patients.

Oh, but it gets worse (doesn't it always?). The newsbite flew past me pretty quickly on TV the other evening, but I'm pretty sure it was Tom DeLay who was getting some face time intoning about how unplugging a persistently vegetative person from life support "had never happened before."

Yeah, right. Only like hundreds of times a year.

9. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/print?id=595905

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

you know, there is much I might comment on, from the use of "activist" courts by the GOP when it suits them, to the manipulation of procedure to a certain end (makes their stance on filibusters a tad ironic)...but one thing that struck me is not particularily political. Namely:

In a case like this, with a woman in a vegetative state, is there no more humane way to go than merely unhooking the feeding tube and letting her starve to death? I mean, she may not actually suffer from this, but it struck me as being much more humane to give her a quick end. i apologize if I am not understanding something here. I might advocate a lethal injection or some such end.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i agree it's more humane. but it's also illegal in 49 states (iirc).

12. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

IT PASSED, DAMNIT. UGH.

ITS SUCH A BREACH OF FEDERAL POWERS.

HOW CAN CONGRESS DO THAT.

HOW CAN THEY MOVE A CASE THAT HAS BEEN DECIDED UPON INTO FEDERAL COURTS?

HOW!

13. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Why, or how? Why, because they're beholden to the evangelical right wing. How, because they can. These are the only rationales required anymore.

14. vwcruisn macrumors regular

its utterly disgusting how low people will stoop over politics.

my mother passed away a few years back and insisted she not be kept alive on any sort of life support system. i cant even imagine how i would feel right now if they were making a pawn out of her like they are ms. shiavo.

my good thoughts go out to her husband, he must be one strong man to continue this fight as long as he has.

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Ah, the old, "drugs must be better" approach. I remember reading during the Oregon debate on assisted suicide that hospice nurses said that in their opinion, starvation was a much more peaceful way to go. Seeing death as often as they do I tend to believe them. NPR did a special on the Oregon Law and one of the things they made clear is that drugs, if they're not administered correctly and even sometimes if they are can fail and leave the patient in a worse state. For people in comas or those like Terri Schiavo, death by starvation is a much more humane way to go, IMO.

16. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

In a word: Bull****.

I've assisted in the euthanasia of more critters than I'd care to think about. It's quick, painless and clean. An experienced Euthanasia Tech can do it right every time provided the subject in question has good veins.

There's a split second when the subject tastes the drugs and swallows once... that's it.

I've also seen more critters starving to death than I'd care to think about. I assure you it's excruciating, debilitating and cruel.

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

No substantiation, and I'm not a doctor: A supposed-doctor was interviewed and commented that if the comatose patient is dying by starvation, the only effort that need be made is to keep the lips and mouth from drying. Supposedly this is the only discomfort which would be felt. Me? I dunno.

The whole deal ain't Congress' bidness.

'Rat

18. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Maybe you should tell your member of Congress. I know mine won't listen to anything I've got to say.

19. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I'm so glad the dems barely put up a fight.

58 against was it?

sad sad showing.

'Last edited by Rower_CPU : Today at 12:20 PM. Reason: no need to yell'
    yea.
    I disagree with your reasoning.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sometimes other people say it so much better than I could...

Link

The polls are not in the GOP's favor. They are not 'in the mainstream' on this issue. It's all about appeasing the religious right for putting legislative priority toward the corporate interests after religious conservatives delivered George W. Bush unto the White House.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The Democrats -- my party -- are a bunch of...well, it rhymes with "wussies"....

22. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"The ghoulish infotainment industry is making a killing by acceding once again to trumped up right wing sensationalism."

Well, I dunno about "right wing". Lotsa issues, I'm off to the right of Attila the Hun but this ain't one of'em. I just really, really don't have a lot of use for Bible thumpers.

It's just sensationalism. It sells advertising. Just like Scott Peterson and Whatsit Molester and their trials. But isn't that the whole problem? "It sells advertising" because that's what people actually watch.

I've probably learned more about the Schiavo deal right here than from all the previous "news". My attitude? It's not my effing bidness, that's what. Just like it ain't Congress' bidness or the Bible Belt's bidness.

I'm not much given to name calling, but I just hope when that crowd gets home, their mommas come from beneath the porch to bite them. May they discover the joys of self-seduction.

Nighty-bye,

'Rat

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Judge Won't Order Schiavo Tube Reinsertion

Well, it ain't over yet, but that's a good sign. Lets hope the appeals court has the same common sense.

Link

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmm... So if I say that I'm pretty left on a lot of issues, but have little use for the gun-control thumpers, that I can then claim that gun-control thumbers ergo aren't liberals? Or that they don't represent a large portion of the left? Come on... This is all coming from right-wing sensationalism.

It's a subset of sensationalism for sure. The question you have to ask yourself is 'Would this firestorm of political activity from the leaders of Congress AND the President himself be occuring if the religious right wasn't feeling slighted by the corporate right that's running the show in DC right now?'

Would you have the President woken up at 1AM if it wasn't for a national emergency or a big constituent's need?

Are Frist and Delay driving this for political gain?

And you call ME a statist, yet you vote for these guys. These guys make me look like a libertarian. :p

25. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This just in: