How the West will make a killing on Iraqi oil riches

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by toontra, Jan 7, 2007.

1. toontra macrumors 6502

FULL STORY

It seems the Iraqi parliament are about to pass laws allowing massive exploitation of their oil reserves by western companies.

I remember Tony Blair snorting with derision when someone dared to suggest that oil was anything to do with the imminent invasion in 2002 (mind you, he also snorted with derision when a reporter asked him if he had prayed for divine guidance with Bush at Camp David when they decided to go to war, and it now appears he did).

Anyway, oil's well that ends well, as they say.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

"War against a foreign country only happens when the moneyed classes think they are going to profit from it." -- George Orwell

3. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

I'm not sure the sub-headline of that article was chosen with careful words or with carelessness, but it's an interesting choice of words nonetheless.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Seeing as how it's italicised in the original, I think we can assume it was done on purpose.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"One of the most horrible features of war is that all the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting".
    --George Orwell (Homage to Catalonia)

True.

6. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Ah, I miswrote. I was referring to the synopsis line (I guess that's what it is) that coincides with the thread title. I just wasn't sure if there was a subtle meaning to the choice of "killing" as a word, given all the violence the war with Iraq has caused. I guess it was a silly question, but the word just stood out to me.

Please forgive me for interrupting the flow of Orwell quotes, though. :)