how to access newsgroups OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by assmar1, Jan 13, 2004.

1. assmar1 macrumors newbie

hello -- i was wondering if anyone could give me a quick tutorial on how to access newsgroups in OSX. i can't figure it out.

thanks,
    jim

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: how to access newsgroups OSX

You are going to need the address of a USENET news server. If your ISP or school has one, then you can use it in MacOS X just like you did in MacOS 9.x or Windows or whatever. You can find a variety of links to newsreaders for the Mac, including MacOS X and Rhapsody, on this web page. If you have M$ Office v.X, you may use M$ Entourage v.X. However, use whatever feels comfortable.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've tried a few OS X newsreaders and I found Entourage to be the easiest to use :eek: :rolleyes:

4. SLJ macrumors regular

SLJ

You need a good newsgroup reader to access the usenet probably, Entourage does not do a complete job....

try Thorth...

5. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Pan is a good newsreader and is free. It requires X11 though. It can be installed through fink

6. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Thoth is excellent, but does need a little savvy to set up well. Most ISP's have news servers, but dedicated servers are better, you may have to pay, but retention of articles and coverage is much better, plus the bandwidth is better.

Try searching "News Servers" in Gooooooogle.

8. Santiago macrumors regular

NewsWatcher-MT is free and quite good, as long as you don't need offline reading capabilities.