How to actually _close_ a running app?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by stillspiraling, Feb 26, 2005.

1. stillspiraling macrumors newbie

I am loving this new powerbook, I do everything on it. I take notes on it, I code on it, I play some games; it's been awesome. There is one thing that just drives me crazy though. I would consider myself a "superuser". I want everything to operate my way, barnone.

I cannot stand the fact the hitting the red 'x' at the tops of windows only closes an instance of the program, not the program itself. Is there any way to remedy this? I know people say "OSX can handle the multitasking!" - I don't care! It's still sitting around eating resources and clogging up the dock!

If there are any tools to tweak this setting, or something more in depth steps necessary, I would greatly appreciate a tip! :)

Thanks in advance!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Use keyboard shortcuts.

Key Apple + Tab to cycle amongst running apps.
    Then key Apple + Q to quit the app you want...

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

OSX handles background apps well by moving the program into virtual memory. You are not using Windows!

Pressing Command-Q works for me.

4. auxplage macrumors 6502

There is no work around to my knowledge that allows the program to close by hitting the "x" as in Windows. To me the Mac way makes more sense anyways. The window is within the current program not the program itself.

5. stillspiraling thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I'm just having issues getting used to the mac+Q thing, and being a daily window$/linux user would like it to be able to conform. Conform being the evil keyword there.

Thanks for the replies.

6. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Something my family do all the time. Pressing the red circle does NOT quit the app! Apple-Q Apple-Q Apple-Q

Or... File -> Quit.

For windows users, think of this as being Alt-F4... exactly same..

7. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Yep, Command-Q does it.

Its a feature I wish XP had... even though it does it better, and has a feature (Alt-F4)

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

something useful i found out (remember i only got my mac 3 weeks back :cool: ) is Apple + W.

love it.

shuts down the window your working on, like i work on numberous Photoshop images at once and i just want 1 closing. Apple + W :cool:

funny, everytime i go on my windows machines i try closing apps by pressing Alt+Q. :rolleyes: