Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bhsu21

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
I'm not looking to create the next IG, but I like how you can share your photos and description and let other app users see, like it, and leave a comment.

I'm not a developer so I'll need to outsource all the work.

Just want to know what it would take, besides the coding, for the app to have that feature.

Basically a feature for users of the app to see what others have written. Can be liked. Commented on.

Would I need a web server? Would it be expensive in your opinion to maintain it? Lots of headaches?

And any other insights.

Thanks for any info.

vultureboy

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2006
Blackpool, UK
You would need a web server for this. It's hard to estimate costs because it would all depend on how many users you had, what the app was doing and how often people woud be doing it and how redundant the service would have to be.

You could easily start off with a simple web hosting package offering unlimited hosting, storage, bandwidth etc etc. However in the future you may want to upgrade to more customisable services based on either a VPS (maybe an amazon EC2 instance) or a custom dedicated server.

The one option I personally use in my Dark Legacy App is using Google App Engine. The service is very redundant and offers great scalability, they offer a reasonable free package which can easily be upgraded in the future.

One thing to really take into account is the programming languages your developer can use.

Cost wise, Google App Engine will start at free and increase depending on users and the content you are serving.

Standard hosting packages (with unlimited storage) can start anywhere from around £10 p/m.

VPS servers can start at around £15 p/m and Dedicated servers from around £50 p/m

Hope this helps! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.