How to add holidays to iCal

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slackersonly, Aug 28, 2006.

1. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

I am working on setting up my first iCal family calendar. I would like to add US holidays.

I have found this which allows me to subscribe to a new calendar.

I would prefer to add the holidays to an existing calendar instead of a new subscribed calendar. I would have thought it would be possible to import calendar events.

Does anyone know of a solution??

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I don't know of a way to do this, but you might try the 'import iCal file' option. Otherwise, why not just have a dedicated subscribed calendar. I can't think of any reason why you'd choose not to do this.

For more options, check out iCal World.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Here is another thing you might try:

When you find a calendar, it has an address like:

webcal://ical.mac.com/ical/US32Holidays.ics

If you take this and change webcal to http, and paste it in your browser, you will just get the .ics file. But if you import this, it will import as an additional calendar, AFAIK. Instead I think what you are supposed to do is drag the ICS file directly into the name of your existing calendar in the upper left of the main iCal window, according to this link.

4. slackersonly thread starter macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

This was my original thought but I cant find a holiday calendar to import just one to which to subscribe.

I am a iCal noob so maybe I am doing this wrong but I have a general family calendar and then a calendar for each of us. I am publishing them to our main and individual pages in iWeb. I want the holidays added to my general family calendar.

Thanks for the link. I will surf around a bit.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Thanks for the link. That looks like a pretty good hint for the OP. I stand by my original statement that there's really no need to merge calendars in the first place, though. (I see your post about uploading to iWeb, and I'll concede that's a reason I hadn't thought about ;))

6. slackersonly thread starter macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

I will try this. Thank you.
    Oops. Lost track of the time. Gotta with MNF.
    Will try this later tonight. :)

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

just so you know, i tried his suggestion and it worked perfectly, so this should be your fix!

8. slackersonly thread starter macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

mkrishnan, that worked perfectly. Thanks.

gauchgolfer, thanks for the ical world link. lots of cool stuff.