How to add password to Single User Mode?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by telegix, Jul 27, 2005.

1. telegix macrumors member

I'm wondering if there is a way for the bootup single user mode (APPLE+S) to have a user name and password.. I think it's a security risk if it dosen't have one.. Though, I wouldn't want to disable it complety as it's very useful..

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

Does the Open Firmware Password do the same thing?

4. Poeben macrumors 6502

I think I already know the answer, but doesn't hurt to ask anyway right? I have enabled the OF password on my mac, but I would still like the ability to boot from SU mode on occasion. From the info I have found, the only way to do this is to change the firmware security settings and reboot. This is fine, but it seems like there should be a command you can type from within the firmware console to boot in SU mode. Mr. Google has let me down on this quest so far.

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You can't...OF passwords disables cmd+s.

http://archive.macosxlabs.org/documentation/firmware_security/details/details.html

6. Poeben macrumors 6502

I am aware that the OF password prevents the key snags, but I would think that there should be some argument to 'mac-boot' or something within OF that would allow single-user mode after entering the OF password.