How to add words to ms word dictionary in os x?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sabre364, Sep 1, 2008.

1. macrumors member

I have the latest word for os x?

When I try to add a word (that is underlined as misspelled), I can't seem to do it. The 'add' button in spell check is grayed out. I went into the settings and didn't see anything besides a 'custom dictionary' feature that I fiddled with but didn't want to enable or create just for a few words (like the spelling of my last name, biological terms not in the dictionary, etc.)

Any tips?

2. thread starter macrumors member

Any ideas? Has anyone ever had to add a word to the dictionary before? :eek:

EDIT: I didn't realize I had only posted this last night, sorry for the too early bumping here...I'm not sure how to delete this post. ;)

3. macrumors newbie

4. macrumors newbie

DemetersRest

I know this is a very old thread, however this was just the solution I needed for Word 2011 for Mac. Specifically the resolution was to do with the the fact my custom dictionary had a language assigned to it (quote extracted from the link above) : -

If you assigned the custom dictionary a language, then Add may be grayed out because the language assigned to the word does not match the language assigned to the dictionary. The custom dictionary does not require a language, and if you don’t assign a language, the custom dictionary can mix together words of any language. For that reason, set the language of the custom dictionary to “none” whenever possible.

5. macrumors newbie

Add a Word in Word Dictionary Grayed Out!

Wow...a woman of few words but this little link changed my life forever.

I can now add all the words to Word that I can re-word, word. Four year old problem with a modern day solution. Time travel is awesome. This did the trick, I created a dictionary, closed out, and then could add to my heart's delight from within the document as I mentioned above. Grayed out "add" button is gone, squiggly red lines under perfectly normal words are gone.
    Life has new meaning.

Thank you 2008 poster.