How to adjust ringtone volume

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jshelton, Jun 3, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

A while back, everyone was looking for the ringtone that was used at the end of the iPhone commercials (just a basic ringing phone tone). I searched and found a file that someone had posted. I transferred it to iTunes as a .mp4file, and then to my iPhone.

I love the ringtone; the ones preinstalled on the iPhone are terrible.

Here is my problem: I want to keep my ringer volume all the way up, but the ringtone file that I downloaded is EXTREMELY loud. I have to keep it less than 1/4 volume. But I use my alarm a lot, and I need it all the way up because it is a different ringtone. How do I adjust the volume of the .mp4 ringtone to make it the same level as the rest of them on the iPhone?

2. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Do you own a mac?

Is so open the file in Garage Band and then reduce the master volume before saving it again.

Newtons Apple likes this.
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do. So it's that easy? :eek:

4. macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Is there a solution for those of us that don't own a Mac? :D

5. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

It should be possible.

I create ringtones for my iPhone using GarageBand all the time, and have turned the file 'volume' down numerous times.

Edit*

Buy a mac??? :p

6. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sure is. Buy a mac. :D

7. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

^ Getting slow in your old age rdowns :D

8. macrumors 68000

Blueline29

I don't know if this'd work, but could you take the ringtone file (.m4r) and copy it to your desktop or wherever; then open Properties and change the file extension to .m4a. Reimport to iTunes as a regular music file, adjust the volume, then copy back to desktop, change the extension back to .m4r and reimport to iTunes as a ringtone? I can't test it at the moment because I'm on my work computer and this way is probably a way bigger PITA than necessary, but it might work for PC users.

9. macrumors newbie

This unfortunatly doesn't work. When I open garageband all the ringtones are greyed out and I cannot select them to edit. I changed it on the .m4a version in itunes but that only works on the songs, when I convert it to a ringtone it goes back up to full volume and is WAY to loud, any ideas on how to make this work?

10. macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

Open it in Audacity (free, Mac or PC) or Amadeus Pro (paid, Mac) and edit the volume and save. Audacity will save as .m4a / AAC. Just rename the extension to .m4r. Amadeus will export directly as a ringtone. Enjoy!

11. mluman83, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

macrumors newbie

I am bumping this thread. I have done the above process and the volume is still the same. I cant find how to lower the actual audio file's output volume!

Wait nevermind, I figured it out. You can adjust it by lowering or raising "gain".

12. macrumors 65816

then you are doing it wrong because I have also done the above process with much success drop the volume down to 25% or less that should make a difference.

13. macrumors newbie

wait,,, wat do u mean by lowering or raising "gain". How do i do it?

14. macrumors 6502a

adamhenry

necrothread!

15. macrumors 65816

Shirasaki

PC software for this is a lot. See Gold wave, and ultra expensive audition.

16. macrumors 65816

Shirasaki

You can try sound studio. This is a paid software but should be able to handle this issue.
    If you are lucky enough, you may borrow a PC with Adobe audition installed, which is way enough to deal with such issues.