How to assign actions (hot keys) to mouse buttons in OS 10.3???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ArkabaS, Dec 3, 2004.

1. ArkabaS macrumors member

ArkabaS

Hey everyone,

I just started using Mac OS 10.3.6 a few days ago.

Everything is perfect expect for one thing. Neither Safari nor Finder recognizes the back/forward keys of my generic 5-button laser mouse. Right, left, and middle mouse work great, but the addition of functional back/forward keys would be EXCELLENT in programs like Safari.

How can I assign actions to the back and forward mouse buttons?? Do I need to install 3rd party drivers or programs?? Will the change be global or specific to programs like Safari??

Thanks for any response.

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I think any App can make special use of extra mouse buttons if they are programmed to do so.

Other than that I know that you can assign extra mouse buttons to activate Exposé in different ways. But that's the only global option for this that I know about.

3. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

For what it's worth, my kensington mouse has it's own drivers that can be downloaded from their website. Perhaps the maker of your mouse has the same arrangement.

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....have a look at USB Overdrive - shareware but worth it - I use it with my Logitech MX500 mouse as it is 100 times better than Logitech's software.....oh yeah!

5. ArkabaS thread starter macrumors member

ArkabaS

Thanks for the help everyone. My problem is now fixed. Apparently "A4 Tech" is not such a generic company. Their website had a great Mac OS X driver for my mouse (a little buggy interface but it does the job). I probably should have looked for drivers before posting here :rolleyes:, but I thought that maybe Mac OS 10 had already implemented a 5-button mouse scheme.

By the way, why is Apple still making one button mouses?? I know they love tradition and everything, but come on, it's 2004. Their should be a petition asking to "upgrade" the classic one-button mouse.