How to assign static IP addresses to home network?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Moof1904, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I understand the concept of static IP addresses, but how do I do it for the four computers on my home network? (I don't care if my DSL modem has a static IP address as far as the outside world is concerned. I just want the four computers that are on my network to stop changing IP addresses when I reboot them, or the AEBS.)

The graphic shows my setup and except for the IP address thing, everything works fine with the network.

The AEBS is set to share an IP address and its IP address is 192.168.1.1. How can I make the individual computers stick with 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3, 192.168.1.4, 192.168.1.5 for example?

Attached Files:

2. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Disable DHCP in the Networking control panel, select Manual and assign the addresses yourself. Set the router for each to 192.168.1.1 and the netmask should resolve itself when you put in your chosen IP address for the machine.

3. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

Here's how to do it under Mac OS X:

Click on the Apple Menu, and select System Preferences....
    Click on the Network icon.
    Double click on the network interface that you connect to the network with.
    Click on the TCP/IP tab.

Your window should now look like this:
    [​IMG]

Under Configure IPv4 choose Manually
    In the box IP Address enter 192.168.1.2 (or the static address you wish to use)
    In the box Subnet Mask enter 255.255.255.0.
    In the box Gateway enter 192.168.1.1
    In the box DNS Server enter 192.168.1.1 (the AEBS supports DNS forwarding IIRC, which is why you can enter its address as a DNS server)

Click the button Apply at the bottom.

Repeat this process for the other Mac's on the network.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

For the Macs running Mac OS X:

1. Open System Preferences
    2. Open Network
    3. Pull down the menu and choose the interface to configure (AirPort, Ethernet, etc.)
    4. Click TCP/IP (I think that's what it's called)
    5. Choose manual as the configuration type
    6. Type in the IP address to use in the IP address box
    7. For the subnet mastk, use 255.255.255.0
    8. For the primary gateway, use your AEBS's IP address
    9. Click Apply

For the Macs running Mac OS 9 or earlier:
    1. Open Control Panel
    2. Open TCP/IP
    3. Select the interface to configure (AirPort, Ethernet, etc.)
    4. Choose manual as the configuration type
    5. Type in the IP address to use in the IP address box
    6. For the subnet mastk, use 255.255.255.0
    7. For the primary gateway, use your AEBS's IP address
    8. Click OK

For Windows machines running Windows XP:
    1. Open Network Connections
    2. Right-click the interface to configure and choose Properties
    3. In the dialog that appears, select TCP/IP and click Properties
    4. Click General if it isn't already selected
    5. Choose Use the following IP address
    6. Enter the IP address to use
    7. For the subnet mask, use 255.255.255.0
    8. For the default gateway, use the AEBS's IP address
    9. Click OK, then OK again to dismiss both dialogs

5. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

Y'all are great! Thank you!

I tried the manual approach and it didn't work. Looking at these instructions I see that I left the DNS Server box empty instead of putting the IP address of the AEBS in it.

I'll go try this now! Thank you all again!

(And I have two windoze boxes, too, so thank you for the windoze instructions!)

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

One other note - you should be able to have DHCP running on your router while still having manually assigned static IP addresses on your network. You just need to make sure that on your router the DHCP starting address is above the last static IP address you use.

This could be nice if, for example, you have people that come over to use your network (for gaming or whatever) and you don't want to have to configure manual IP for them every time.

Just a thought.

7. butaro macrumors regular

I do this as well as having a WPA key for my wireless, now having 2 nintendo DS's Wii, 3 Laptops and 3-4 computers connected by wire. If i friend comes over i just left 2 more dhcp ips open for example if i had 8 computers connected .100-109 range of ips open.

8. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

This confuses me a bit because when I try to share a range of IP addresses using DHCP in the AEBS Network panel, I get a warning that I can only do that if the Airport itself is configured with a static IP address. I've thus far been able to get things to work only by sharing a single IP address in the AEBS Networking pane.

9. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

I can't get the Windows instructions to work for me. (XPSP2). Entering these settings causes my connection status to change to "failed-device malfunctioning."

I don't have a print screen button on my keyboard, so I can't show you the config dialog, but I entered
    IP address: 192.168.1.6
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

and in the lower panel, I entered:
    Use the following DNS server address:
    Preferred DNS server: 192.168.1.1
    Alternate DNS server: left blank.

Any ideas?

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You might have an IP address conflict somewhere. Check the IP of your printer - is it using 192.168.1.6, or some other address you've already assigned, for instance?

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

Something that just struck me here. Perhaps I'm way off, but is your D-Link a switch or a router? And are your computers connected wirelessly to the AEBS, or via ethernet to the D-Link?

I'm a little fuzzy on how the AEBS works, and for some reason I can't get to the Apple site right now from work. Anyway, if you're wired to the D-Link, and it's just a switch, the AEBS might not be able to manage multiple static IP addresses through it's lone LAN port.

On the other hand, if your D-Link is a router, then you could configure the D-Link to manage the single AEBS IP address.

12. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

The D-Link is just a switch. I got a switch because I didn't want another router confusing the issue.

13. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

Darn. I got excited because i thought that might be it, but no. The printer is using 192.168.1.2 and I'm trying to give the PC 192.168.1.6.

---> Wait! I rebooted the PC and it works! The static IP is working fine! Awesome. Thanks, wrldwzrd89, and everyone else!