HOW TO?: Assign the F13 F14 F15 keys to iTunes?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sphereboy, Sep 4, 2003.

1. sphereboy macrumors 6502

sphereboy

I have this idea that i would love to do, but I have no idea how to re map the F13, F14, and the F15 keys.

The idea would be to map F13 'Previous Song' for iTunes.. and then assign F14 'Play' and then F15 to 'Next Song'

Anyone have any hints on how I can accomplish this? .. i love the fact that I can adjust the volume from the keyboard, but i would love to take a step further and control the music selection as well.

Thanks in advance.

2. bcleland macrumors member

not sure about that but you can advance a song with the apple key and the right arrow.

3. homeshire macrumors regular

simple forward and back arrow keys control music selection when iTunes is the front app.

4. sphereboy thread starter macrumors 6502

sphereboy

Yes, i am aware of that, but that only works if iTunes is the active app. I would like to do it as a universal thing. I have never in 3 years on a Mac, used the F13,14,15 keys.. so who knows.. i'm sure they do something but for me.. would be better as a music controller.

5. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

There is an app that assigns customizable key combos as iTunes controllers including play/pause, next track, and previous track. It works regardless of if iTunes is in front or not.

I forget the name if the app (I'm at work), but if you search on zdnet, you should be able to find it. It has worked really well for me.

6. phreaker57x macrumors newbie

but doesnt F14 and F15 control the contrast of the screen? :confused: . at least thats what it does on my iMac.

7. sphereboy thread starter macrumors 6502

sphereboy

I think i found what you are referring to.
    The name is: Synergy 1.0

ZDnet download link for Synergy 1.0
    Thanks for the tip! .. this is exactly what i was looking for.

8. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Use iKey to assign a hotkey for almost any action you can think of. Definitely worth a look. It's up there in the 'Must-have OS X shareware list' along with LaunchBar, TransparentDock (ClearDock), WeatherPop (Meteorologist), and the others.

irmongoose

9. sphereboy thread starter macrumors 6502

sphereboy

I installed Synergy and it seems to be the best program for what I needed. It actually already comes configured to use F11 F12 and F13.. apparently you cannot assign F14 or F15.. i think they are dummy keys.

Again, it's full of features that seem indispensible once you get used to them. It even adds a music controller to the Menu Bar.. very convenient.. and it pops up a translucent window with the song name and album cover.

It's awesome.

10. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Yeah that's the prog I use. I forgot that it came with the transparent song info box that pops up. I love that thing...I especially love how customizable everything is.

BTW for my own personal hotkeys, I use Apple + arrow up for play/pause, and apple + arrow left/right for previous/next song.

11. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

If you're planning on installing Panther, you might want to reassign those hotkeys: Expose uses F11 for the see-your-desktop feature. :)

12. sphereboy thread starter macrumors 6502

sphereboy

Panther would be a clean install, so it wouldn't matter anyways. I'm sure Synergy would be updated to address that situation. Also, with Synergy it's not just F11 it's Command-F11.. i believe Expose would be just F11.

Thanks for the advice though..

Actually now that I think about it.. i think i will take the advice of the other user and assign the up and left,right arrows.. much easier to access.

PS: I love this board! So many helpful people! You guys rock.

13. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

Yeah, Synergy absolutely rocks...

I have Command+Fkeys set to do it, that way it doesn't get in the way of Exposé :D

14. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

I have a related question. Is there any way I can make F14 and F15 not adjust screen brightness? I use VirtualPC and I have a Windows app that uses the Pause (F15) key and it can't be reassigned. But if I hit F15, it just makes the screen brighter. :mad: Any ideas?